Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E320: Hi Marty, I think my fuse or relay is not working for…

Hi Marty, I think my...
Hi Marty, I think my fuse or relay is not working for the AC Compressor on my 2000 E320. Any idea where I can either get replacement fuses/relays, or have a better solution to the problem?
6/22/2014
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, can you explain the problem that you are having with the a/c?
The compressor is not turning on. Now, I took it to a mechanic who could recharge the AC, but the compressor continued to not engage . The car blows sir, but it's not cold air. He said it might be a fuse problem (relay, I'm not sure if the terminology) or he said that the compressor might be bad. Thoughts on how I can narrow down what is wrong ?

Some online sites have tricks to engage the compressor so that you can put r134a in, but I looked at the fuse box and didn't want to mess with it.

Ok, the first thing to do is to check the fault codes and the actual values in the system. I've attached the instructions below. Write down the codes and the actual values and post them here and I'll tell you what to do next. Try erasing the codes and see if the compressor engages.

Read Out Actual Values
Read Out Fault Codes
(start at step 3)

I'll be back in the morning to check on you.

Hi Marty,Here are the readings. Actual values are first, fault codes are second.1, 672, 643, 1094, 1075, 626, 1167, 008, 609, 2710, 1.311, 2.712, 3.820, 3.221, 4522, 0023, 3224, 13.540, 16341, 8542, 10543, 152Eb1 419Eb1 231Eb1 234Eb1 416Eb1 419E FFI should mention that there is only 5 ounces of refrigerant in the car. I took it to a mechanic who put five ounces in, but when the compressor wasn't going, he didn't want to add any more.
Let's see if I formatted this better.

1, 67 /

2, 64 /

3, 109 /

4, 107 /

5, 62 /

6, 116 /

7, 00 /

8, 60 /

9, 27 /

10, 1.3 /

11, 2.7 /

12, 3.8 /

20, 3.2 /

21, 45 /

22, 00 /

23, 32 /

24, 13.5 /

40, 163 /

41, 85 /

42, 105 /

43, 152 /

Eb1 419 /

Eb1 231 /

Eb1 234 /

Eb1 416 /

Eb1 419 /

E FF /
Hi Jacob, on your actual values, if you look at your reading for #7 you will see that it is 0. Basically your system is out of refrigerant. You will need to get the car connected to a refrigerant charging station to have the system evacuated and recharged with the proper amount of refrigerant. The compressor will not engage until you get about 16 ounces of refrigerant into the system.
Marty,

Do you think that alone will do it? I didn't want to fill it with coolant if there is something else wrong. Would the numbers I gave you show if something else was wrong?

The other numbers look fine. I think the recharge will definitely get you going. You'll just have to see how long the recharge lasts. If the refrigerant leaks out too quickly you will need to have a leak check performed to locate and repair the leak.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Thank you for your help, Marty! I'll go get a recharge right away.

One more question: when I tried to recharge before, the cheap gauge read off the charts for pressure. Is that accurate, or should I continue pumping in the coolant?

Also, is it worth doing on my own or should I take it to a place like jiffy lube?
You should probably have this done professionally with a refrigerant charging station. Based on your actual values your gauges should show little or no pressure when connected to the low and the high side ports.