Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E320: My a/c in my 1999 E320 v6 has dual temperature controls,

Customer Question
My a/c in my 1999...
My a/c in my 1999 E320 v6 has dual temperature controls, the drive side is putting out return air temperature and the passenger 50 degree air. We did a mercedes test and got the following reading:
1 87
2 94
3 75
4 66
5 120
6 182
7 13
8 127

Error Codes:
E61 234
E FF

Make: Mercedes-Benz
Model: E320
Year: 1999
Engine: 6c

What should I do at this point?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Mercedes
9/9/2012
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

eurotec :

Hi, was the engine running and the a/c running when you ran this test?

eurotec :

Are you online?

eurotec :

It appears as though you are not getting my replies. I am going to switch the question to Q&A mode. Try replying to me in that mode. You will need to refresh your page.

Yes the engine was running and a/c wasn't on.

Hi, can you repeat the test with the key on and the engine not running?

1 87

2 94

3 75

4 66

5 120

6 182

7 13

8 127

Yes, disregard my last message to you. we will go do the test and be right back.

ok, those readings did not look like the system was off. Ideally it should be off for about 30 minutes.

Here we go:

1-92

2-94

3-94

4-93

5-127

6-152

7-07

8-105

Ok, I don't like the reading at #5 (evaporator temperature). It should match the heater core temperature (#3 and #4) when the car has been off for awhile and has cooled down. I'd replace the evaporator temperature sensor but I don't think it's your only problem. Your left heater core temperature (#3) also looks a little high in your initial readings that you posted. I'd crimp off the heater hose going to the heater control valve from the motor and see if that helps at all. Finally, your refrigerant pressure (#7) looks good but low refrigerant or a blockage in the a/c drier or in the line between the drier and the evaporator are the most common causes of the left side blowing warmer than the right side. I'd have the system evacuated and recharged to be sure that the proper amount of refrigerant in the system. If all checks good and if you still have problems I'd check for a blockage in the drier or in the a/c line.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician