Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic: I recently bought a 1999 Mercedes…

I recently bought a 1999...
I recently bought a 1999 Mercedes Benz E320 that has not been driven much for the last six months. The owner said that last time he drove it the AC was working just fine, but it is not operational at the moment. The blower works, the clutch on the compressor engages, but nothing but ambient temperature air blows out. I checked the low pressure valve, and the pressure was low, but upon running it runs very high into the red zone. Any ideas on what it might be?

I ran the diagnostic of the onboard computer and got the following values:

1999 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic

Trouble Shooting Values from the AC computer

1-78

2-66

3-71

4-71

5-143

6-114

7-03

8-66

9-27

10-0.8

11-0.3

12-4.1

20-3.2

21-48

22-00

23-32

24-13.5

40-164

41-32

42-40

43-136

Answered in 1 hour by:
7/15/2012
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

eurotec :

Hi, can you explain how you did your pressure test on the a/c system? Did you check the low and high side system pressures?

Customer:

I ran the test using the procedure that I believe you posted using the temperature control display, setting it to 72 degrees, and then holding the rest button for five seconds.

I checked the pressure on the low pressure side and it was low, so I added refrigerant. It suggested 45 psi for the ambient temperature so I refilled it to that level. I drove about five miles with the a/c on high and it was not getting cold, so I checked the pressure again to see if there was a leak. The pressure was super high up to about 100 psi, so I bled off the excess pressure and have not turned it on again. I do not have the equipment to test the high pressure side. Thanks!

eurotec :

Ok, the values that you posted, are they current values or before the recharge?

Customer:

After the recharge so, yes, current values.

eurotec :

Ok, I see two problems.

eurotec :

#5 - evaporator temperature is too high.

eurotec :

#7 - refrigerant pressure is too low.

eurotec :

You need to replace the evaporator temperature sensor and have the system evacuated and recharged with a refrigerant recovery station.

Customer:

Excellent. I was hoping that it was not the evaporator, because that looks like a gnarly job. Thanks so much for your help.

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

Is there a reason that the pressure showed so high after the recharge? I know that I refilled it properly according to the gauge I was using.

eurotec :

Hard to say, you might have had too much in there or the compressor may not have been engaged.

Customer:

Cool, thank you so much!

eurotec :

you're welcome

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Just a little follow up I thought you might like. I took the vehicle to Mac's in Vancouver and told them what you thought. They said that they did not agree with the diagnosis, and that a lot of people think that a problem can be diagnosed online, blah, blah, etc. After two days they said it was an electrical problem and that I would have take it to another guy. On the way over there I noticed that they left a new Evap Temp Sensor in its package on the back seat. I am not a thief, but these guys had been yanking my chain for two days, so I thought what the hell. I put it in in about 22 minutes (there is a pictorial guide online) and cranked it up. Ice cold. I called and told them that a waiter with an internet connection is now better at their job than they are. I told them that if they wanted money for the part they could drive their asses to my grandfather's place to get it.

Also, I drove my dogs in the car from Portland to Georgia through the hottest heatwave of the summer (up to 110 degrees) and it was blowing perfectly cold air the whole time.

Thanks so much.
Hi Pila, that's quite a story. Thanks for the update! I'm glad you were able to get it going.