Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Mercedes-Benz e320: 1998 e320 ac inop. control head stays…

1998 e320 ac inop....
1998 e320 ac inop. control head stays on ec and will not allow compressor to come on per owners manual. replaced unit and replacement has same concern. ???
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/30/2012
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

eurotec :

Hi, the EC light comes on when the a/c system is low on refrigerant.

eurotec :

You need to have the system evacuated and recharged if you haven't already done so.

eurotec :

You can read out the fault memory of the system right through the control panel. I will attach the instructions.

Customer:

already done. system full no leaks present

eurotec :

Have you erased the fault codes?

eurotec :

Click on the instructions and go through the reset procedure. Write down any codes before you erase them then see if the compressor will engage.

eurotec :

Start at step 3 in the instructions.

eurotec :

Did you say that you already erased the fault codes?

eurotec :

Or did you mean that you have already evacuated and recharged the a/c system?

eurotec :

Are you still online with me?

Customer:

sorry running codes ..here we go.

Customer:

Ran diagnostic. couple interesting things. immediately following the test/reset when i cycle the key and restart the car the ec light shut off and the ac worked great. However upon shutting the car off and waiting a minute when the vehicle is restarted the ec light is on and back to square one. Also the display never flashed the led and displayed di R as in step 6 and "d" and "FF" never displayed in step 9.

Customer:

codes r as follows

Customer:

yes

eurotec :

ok

Customer:

43 136

eurotec :

Can you recheck that code?

eurotec :

43 136 is not in the list

eurotec :

The display should show Eb1 on the left and the 3 digit code on the right.

eurotec :

Maybe you should try turning the car off and then running through the codes again.

eurotec :

I can also show you how to read the actual values of the sensors through the control panel.

Customer:

Yup 43 136 / 42 73 / 41 3 / 40 6 / 24 12.0 / 23 0 / 22 0 / 21 0 / 20 0 / 12 3.0~2.8 / 11 0.5 / 10 6.0 / 9 0 / 8 9.0~100 / 7 7~8 / 6 171~176 / 5 88~89 / 4 47~49 / 3 145~150 / 2 81~82 / 1 87~92

Customer:

~ means varied over 3 tests

eurotec :

Ok, those are the actual values. Can you give me the fault codes?

eurotec :

still there?

eurotec :

Let me know how you make out. The fault code that you posted was not a valid code. Try erasing the codes again and see hat comes back. Your actual values look good for refrigerant and evaporator temperature but your heater core temperature is high on #3. That won't cause the EC light to stay on but it will cause poor cooling. It looks like your heater valve is open on that side.

eurotec :

I do strive for an "Excellent Service" rating. If you need more help with this please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

sorry had a customer and had to step away . i will reset again and see if i get different codes.

eurotec :

Ok, I may be out for a little while but I will check back.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician