Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 Mercedes S430: cranks fine..everything works..seats..wont work…

2004 Mercedes S430 has problems...
2004 Mercedes S430 has problems with ignition, when I just turn the key briefly the car cranks fine and everything works without any problems, now if you turn the key with a little hold at the end of its cycle, the vehicle still cranks and starts, the only problem is that now, A/C, windows, seats, signal light, etc... won't work. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
-Customer
6/22/2012
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
eurotec :

Hi Jeff, by your description I would say that the EIS (electronic ignition switch) is bad.

eurotec :

When you turn it fully and let it go it sounds like you are not picking up the terminal 15R contact in the switch.

Customer:

When you say terminal 15r, are you referering to the terminal 15r contact int eh EIS?

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

-Daniel

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

eurotec :

Let me know if you need anything else.

eurotec :

sorry I missed your last reply.

eurotec :

Yes I mean the contact inside the EIS.

Customer:

Ok, but the problem we have now is, we replaced the EIS yesterday and it worked fine, today we could no even move the car, it does not even crank the car, 0 crank 0 power, so we've put the old EIS in place and the car works with the same problem, any ideas?

Customer:

the old eis let us crank the car, the new one not anymore!

eurotec :

Was it a brand new EIS that you installed? I assume it was since it worked yesterday. Did you use the programming key to program the EIS?

Customer:

no brand is says made in german, we bought from mercedes benz where they had to program the vin in it. We used the orange key to program.

eurotec :

Ok, then if the old EIS still works and the new one does not I'd say something went wrong in the new EIS. There's not much else it can be.

eurotec :

Mercedes should warranty this for you.

Customer:

ok, I'll try

Customer:

i'll keep you posted, thanks for now

eurotec :

You're welcome

Customer:

I have the vehicle at the shop now, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your patiency.

Customer:

sorry "patience"

Customer:

eurotec, this vehicle is a disaster, after mercedes changed the eis and reprogrammed the car now went crazy, I'll sell it as it is, I can't deal with this anymore.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician