Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1999 e320: control unit..ec..A/C wont come on... its full of freon…

Customer Question
hey have a 1999 E320...
hey have a 1999 E320 ... on the control unit there is a red lite on the button thats marked EC .... and the A/C wont come on... it's full of freon... what is this lite for ???
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/5/2012
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, the EC lite comes on when the compressor is turned off. If you cannot turn the light off by pressing the button you need to read and erase the fault codes in the climate control panel and repair any faults in the system. If the refrigerant was low you may simply need to erase the codes. Click on the procedure below.

Read And Erase Fault Codes
I pulled up the code.... on the left side it read E61 on the right side I have 231,241,459 and FF....on the code list you send...i see B1 and some 4 digits # XXXXX i use the # XXXXX the chart ????
Correct, your 241 is a low refrigerant code. Try erasing the codes and see if the compressor works. If your 241 code comes back the syatem may not be fully charged.
where is the expansion valve at on this car ????

can you tell me what code B1459 and B1231 are and how to fix them ???

The 1231 is a coolant sensor fault code and the 1459 is a control panel communication fault code. I would ignore both codes for now and focus on the 1241.
It's up under the wiper mechanism on the driver's side. Just follow the hoses to the firewall. You'll need to remove the air intake grilles and the wiper system to replace the valve. I don't see many expansion valve failures on this model.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician