Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1997 C230: dtc..climate control..I disconnect the power..light stays…

Customer Question
I have a 1997 C230...
I have a 1997 C230 and the DTC codes I pulled from it on the climate control is saying 42.1
and 45 degree sign 9. the coolant level light is on and the electric radiator fan will not shut off. If I disconnect the power to the fan and restart the engine the coolant level light stays off. Please any suggestion or help with this would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Mercedes
4/25/2012
Mercedes Mechanic: MichelleK-Admin,
 replied 10 years ago
MichelleK-Admin

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

yes still waiting, My situation is; the A/C compressor will not turn on, no 12v and the electric fan on the radiator will not shut off unless I unplug it. Also the coolant warning light is on but the level is good. I am thinking the climate control unit N22 is the problem. All of this stuff seems to go through it. The A/C was working fine until I had the blower replaced for the dash vents.It was just intermittant but was cooling. I tried to reset the CCU using code version 18 after these problems started. Not sure if that was the correct code. 1997 c230 03/97 us model DTC codes 42.1 and 45 degree sign 9 which I cleared.
Mercedes Mechanic: MichelleK-Admin,
 replied 10 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 10 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Hi, perhaps I can help. Can you post the VIN number for me?
WDBHA23E9VF576675 I noticed the fan speed display on the CCU N22 acting strange intermittantly the display seemes to corrupt also so I just ordered a used one off EBAY. Hopefully it will fix these problems. Seeing the one I ordered came out of the same model and 1 month later than mine it should be programmed already.
Hi, this may very well be an a/c control panel problem.Are you able to run the fault codes again and post the codes here? Can you also tell me what the version coding is currently?

Yes I will run through them tonight when I get home. I do remember that the software was

40 2

41 3

42 18

use this correct?

A/C SELF DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEMS - 1990-9793Baum Tools Unlimited Inc. XXX-XXX-XXXX / Technical Support XXX-XXX-XXXX [email protected] Chassis from 9/95READING ACTUAL VALUES
1.IGNITION : Position 1
2.Set temperature selector to 72 degrees F.
3.Press the REST button for more than 6 seconds.
4.The left display will alternately show the number "01" and the in-car temperature.
5.Press the FAN button and the next component number and its value will be displayed.
6.Press the REST button to end the test program.

COMPONENT UNDER TESTNumberComponent
01In-Car Temperature Sensor with Aspirator Blower (B10/4)
02Outside Temperature Sensor (B14)
03Heater Core Temperature Sensor (B10/1)
05Evaporator Temperature Sensor (B10/6)
06Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) (B11/4)
07Refrigerant Pressure in Bar
08Refrigerant Temperature Sensor (B12/1)
09Not Used
10Blower Control Voltage
20Control Current for Auxiliary Fan exp. : 7 = 7 mA
21Engine RPM. example 00..99 (x100) = 9900
22Vehicle Speed
23PIN 58D exp. 99.0 = 99% of Battery Voltage
24Battery Voltage : 12.8 = 12,8 Volt
40A/C Controller Software Version Coding
41A/C Controller Hardware Version
42Variant code 1
43Variant code 2
50Not Used
51Not Used
52Not Used
54ON/OFF A/C Compressor emergency off signal from engine control module.

COMPONENT UNDER TESTNumberComponent
01 = 94 In-Car Temperature Sensor with Aspirator Blower (B10/4)
02 = 99 Outside Temperature Sensor (B14)
03 = 97 Heater Core Temperature Sensor (B10/1)
05 = 97 Evaporator Temperature Sensor (B10/6)
06 = 131 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECT) (B11/4)
07 = 03*0 Refrigerant Pressure in Bar
08 = 96 Refrigerant Temperature Sensor (B12/1)
09 = 50 Not Used
10 = 49.5 Blower Control Voltage
20 = 0 Control Current for Auxiliary Fan exp. : 7 = 7 mA
21 = 000 Engine RPM. example 00..99 (x100) = 9900
22 = 000 Vehicle Speed
23 = 000 PIN 58D exp. 99.0 = 99% of Battery Voltage
24 = 11.4 Battery Voltage : 12.8 = 12,8 Volt
40 = 02 A/C Controller Software Version Coding
41 = 03 A/C Controller Hardware Version
42 = 18 Variant code 1
43 = 6-C Variant code 2
50 Not Used
51 Not Used
52 Not Used
54 = off ON/OFF A/C Compressor emergency off signal from engine control module.
Good morning, first of all it looks like your system is low on refrigerant. I would definitely evacuate and recharge the system and erase all fault codes and see if your compressor works. I'll check the version coding as soon as possible.
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
The code version coding 18 is correct for my VIN?
I don't think 18 is correct for your VIN. Try 62 and see if it takes it.

The ccu i got off ebay is also set to 18. I tried to set it to 62 but it oly goes up to 30 so set it back to 18.

I had codes 231 engine coolant temp sensor b11/4

233 refrigerant temp sensor b12/1

416 coolant circulation pump a31m1

417 left duovalve (water valve) y21y2

419 a/c compressor electromagnetic clutch a9k1

cleared thedm all and then 232 refrigerant Pressur sensor came up.

cleared that one and now no codes. this is all with the electric radiator aux fan unplugged. If I plug the fan in it runs all tyhe time even with the engine off. I think I will will have the a/c system evacuated and refilled and see what happens. seems like all these codes are related with the exception of the electric fan. May have developed a sensor failur just out of the blue and is just confusing the issue. Probably does nor effect getrting the a/c compressor to kick on. I will let you know what happens next week when I get it done.

Hi, thanks for the update. If you still have trouble with it set at 18 try setting it to 32. It should let you go to 32 on the display. Let me know how you make out with it.
The independant mb tech I took it to says the compressor is locked up and that it will require a new one and a receiver/drier replaced as well. I just wish I knew exactly where to jumper the clutch so as to see if it will engage.Got two manuals and they don't show where to do it. I really don't think he is being honest about the compressor lockup because it was working ok until I took it in to get the water pump and the fan replaced under the dash for the AC. That is when this all started. It is a shame but I think he is just trying to get 990 dollars out of me for the parts.
Hi, with the motor turned off just reach down and try to rotate the front of the a/c compressor. If you are able to rotate the hub around a few times the compressor is not locked up. It may offer a little resistance because of the refrigerant charge but you should be able to turn the compressor by hand.
Just what I thought, it turns ok. I put r134 in it before and the compressor did not come on. I think my indy mechanic did something when I had the blower under the dash replaced. It looks like on the wiring diagram that 12vdc is not getting to the clutch to turn it on. This signal comes out of pin 25 on the display/control unit which I have already replaced. I think I will pull that unit out again and check the continuity from pin 25 to the clutch and see if he might have cut a wire. I will also check the low pressure switch to see if it is bad. I bought an obdc2 scanner and it is not showing any codes for the a/c.