Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

1990 mercedes 560SL: what is the main difference between the 1989/..SL

Customer Question
what is the main difference...
what is the main difference between the 1989/1990 mercedes 560SL and the other SL before it
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mercedes
12/7/2011
Mercedes Mechanic: MercedesDoc, Independent Mercedes Shop Owner replied 5 years ago
MercedesDoc
MercedesDoc, Independent Mercedes Shop Owner
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Are you speaking of the 86-89 560 SL, compared with the 81-85 380SL?
There was no 1990 560SL. 1990 was the first year of the newer body style.
I am speaking of the 1989 Mercedes Convertable SL as compared with the 1986, 1987, and 1988 mercedes convertable SL
Honestly, there was only one difference through the 560SL model run. 86-87 had the larger 3rd brake light in the center of the trunk, and the 88-89 had a much smaller light, set much further back, on the trailing edge of the trunk lid.

MercedesDoc
MercedesDoc