Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

1998 E320: CHECK ENGINE..ILLUMINATED..EGR VALVE, EGR VALVE REPLACED

1998 E320, CHECK ENGINE LAMP ILLUMINATED, COMPUTER INDICATES PROBLEM WITH EGR VALVE, EGR VALVE REPLACED, CODES CLEARED, 24 HOURS LATER CHECK ENGINE LAMP ILLUMINATES AND EGR IS AGAIN THE CULPRIT. SUGGESTIONS?
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Was the EGR valve and small solenoid that connects to the valve replaced together or just the valve?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes both were replaced together.
O.k.

The most common problem for this fault to set and the egr valve not correcting the problem is carbon build up in the tube from the egr pipe to the intake manifold.

The valve and tube need removed and the carbon cleaned out then the code cleared and the vehicle driven to see if the fault comes back.

I have had to clean carbon out of thesw before to correct this fault.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
CAN THE TUBE BE CLEARED BY RUNNING A SPEEDOMETER CABLE THROUGH IT TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD AREA?
Yes it should be as this should break up and remove the carbon but however this would put the carbon into the engine and as hard as this stuff can be it can cause problems like possible valves hanging open or tapping,etc.

It is best to remove the tube and clean it out this way.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
PETE, NOT TO BE A SMART----, BUT ISN'T THIS CARBON BEING INJECTED INTO THE INTAKE ANYWAY? OR ARE YOU THINKING A LITTLE OVER AN EXTENDED PERIOD IS DIFFERENT THAN DUMPING A PILE IN ALL AT ONCE?
Exactly,yes it is getting into the intake anyways but usually in small amounts that go right through the engine,if you were to break it up with the tube plugged into the intake you risk forcing very large chunks of this carbon into the intake which could possibly cause issues.It may not be a problem and may go right through the engine and be o.k. but there is a chance it causes a problem.This choice is up to you on how you want to remove the carbon either with it plugged into the intake or out of the intake.