Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1995 E320: having problems with the turn signals.

I have a 1995 E320. I have been having problems with the turn signals. They sometimes worked they sometimes didn't. Now they just went out completely. I have changed the switch plug twice and still nothing. I have changed the fuses inside the dashboard. I am lost on what else could be causing this problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, a faulty hazard switch can cause your turn signals not to work. Try turning the hazard lights on and off a few times and see if that helps.

Customer: They do not work either and I have changed that numerous times as well
eurotec :

If neither the hazards or the signals work the problem is most likely the flasher relay.

Customer: I changed that too, that is the thing that is behind dashboard? If so that is what I mention by the fuses I changed behind the dash board
eurotec :

No the N10 combination relay controls your flashing. It is located in the back of the main fuse box.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

It's at position H in the diagram above.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

eurotec :

And please remember to click Accept!

Customer: Ok, my husband is looking for it as we speak
eurotec :

Ok, I thought you had left.

Customer: No I am here. There is a small black thing and a big one, which one do I pull out?
eurotec :

I gave you a diagram with the location. Did you see it? It's at position H. I also gave you a picture of the relay.

Customer: Yes, looking at them now
Customer: Ok, so recap. Change that black thing, which is the relay. Right?
eurotec :

that is correct

eurotec :

standby and I'll give you the part number

Customer: I was planning to get it at a muck yard
Customer: A junk yard
eurotec :

201 821 02 47, Relay. A salvage yard is fine also.

Customer: Thank you so much. You don't know how many times I have gotten the finger for not using my turn signals. Quick question what if this is not the problem. Should I hit accept when I fix it or now?
eurotec :

You can click Accept now so that I receive credit. You can always come back to this question for more help if you need it after you click Accept.

Customer: Ok, thank you so much again
eurotec :

You're quite welcome

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, I just changed the combination relay and the hazard lights work but I still cannot use the turn signals
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.
Ok, what happens when you turn on the signals? Do the lights turn on but not flash?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Absolutely nothing happens. No click sound and no lights turn on. But when I hit the hazard clicks and lights inside and outside.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, never mind. He just checked the fuses and that was the problem. Again, thank you so much.

Elizabeth
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.
I was just about to tell you to check fuse 6. Glad you figured it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank u so much, love this website. Left u a small tip.
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.
Thank You!