Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Tempcontrol..EC..The resistor stopped constant blowing issue…

Customer Question
Installed new temp control panel...

Installed new temp control panel and resistor. I can see the display now and EC button if off. The resistor stopped constant blowing issue. But air is not cold. Took it to a shop for freon re-charge. EC came back on in the parking lot. Mechanic said he couldn't install freon, hose seemed clogged it wouldnt go in. He isn equipped to do a full diagnostic. Checked error codes: E61 419 showed. What does all this mean? Is it possible for the whole system to go bad at once? Suggestions? Next steps?

Background Story

RE: 1999 Mercedes E430 Sport Sadan. A month ago I had a new ac blower fan installed after intermittant operation. Sometimes I would start the car and turn on the ac and it wouldn't blow but then later after riding a while I might hit a bump or railroad track and it would suddenly come on. Everything seemed back to normal after installing the new blower fan for a few days. A few days later I started the car and turned on the ac and the EC button was on and the air wasn't cold. I pressed it to turn it off but it just stayed on. I was told theTemperature Control Panel needed replacing. Bought one, installed it and it worked - air blew and all - but the air wasn't cold and then the air continued to blow with the control panel set to off - even with the car shut off keys out of the ignition and all. The continuous blowing only started after the new control panel was installed. We re-installed the old control panel but the blowing still continued car off and all. I was told the coolant/freon level was good. I had to disconnect the blower regulator plug under the passenger dash because the battery was drained (b/c the air just continued to blow). I was told that the new temp control panel must not be the right match for the car and to check the heat stamps on the bottom on each control panel: - origional "old" control panel bottom heat stamped: 270 997 - "New" control panel bottom heat stamped: 271 597 *** Both old and new units are stamped the same on top: 210 830 22 85*** 1: Based upon the info I shared and the heat stamp info, is the new unit the right right match for my car? Does the bottom heat stamp need to be a perfect match even though the top heat stamps are the exact same. 2: Does the continous air blowing mean the blower regulator resistor/or plug need replacing or did the new control panel cause this and what will stop it/make it work correctly? Country: United States Make: Mercedes-Benz Model: E430 Year: 1999. When things first started with the intermittant issue, the vents were still cold so I replaced the motor blower fan as suggested by the mechanic. That worked for a few days but the problem started with the EC button and I purchased a temp control panel but still no "cold air" and now the continuous air blowing problem started. I've disconnected the blower regulator under the passenger side dashboard to stop the blowing otherwise it will drain battery dead b/c it won't shut off with the car off. JustAnswer Mechanic suggested replacing resistor. Did that along with new control panel. But air is not cold. Took it to a shop for freon re-charge. EC came back on in the parking lot. Mechanic said he couldn't install freon, hose seemed clogged it wouldnt go in. He isn equipped to do a full diagnostic. Checked error codes: E61 419 showed. Also, EC button went off after checking the error codes. Don't knnow if it will pop up again when I go to get in it to drive today... What does all this mean? Is it possible for the whole system to go bad at once? Suggestions? Next steps?

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/21/2011
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 11 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

eurotec :

Hi, a B1419 code is a compressor clutch code. You need to check the compressor and make sure that it turns and check your power to the compressor. I assume that you have erased the fault codes already and the B1419 came back. I'm not sure what the problem was with the recharge. If the compressor is not on he won't be able to put refrigerant into the system unless he has a charging station.

Customer:

Hi. Sorry I didn't get your response before I left headed to the dealer. The dealer did a diagnostic, told me that a belt and seals needed to be replaced in order to re-charge the ac. They completed that work and still couldn't re-charge the ac. They then came around and said that the compressor clutch needed to be replaced but that they could not order the part separate from the compressor. The cost is $1200+. Needless to say I dont have that kind of money right now for this kind of repair, so I am going to find a used part and have a repair shop put it on ( not sure if this is even a dyi). Thanks for your input and response!

eurotec :

Sorry to hear the bad news. Let me know if I can help.