Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz C220 Hi, I have a 1996 Mercedes C220 (W202)

Hi, I have a 1996 Mercedes C220 (W202) with a non-working fuel gauge. With a full tank today, I noticed that it will work with the gauge needle going from empty to full tank on the instrument cluster when I bank to the right on an exit ramp. When I reach a straightway, it will go back down to empty again. Any idea which fuel sending unit is bad (left or right side)? I hate to spend for a new fuel sending unit(s), is there a way to 'clean it up' and give it a shot as the original fuel sending unit(s) seem fine....just erratic in operation. Also, how do you remove it? Can you provide me instructions and pics, special tools...etc. Thanks!

eurotec :

Hi, you will need to ohm out the individual sending units to see which one is open. I have never had any luck cleaning them. Usually they aren't dirty but the circuit board wears out and there is no contact. Click here for the instructions to remove the sending units.

Customer:

Hi! Just got your answer...looking at the diagram, you have to access the fuel sending units from the outside of the car, underneath?

eurotec :

That is correct

Customer:

does the tank have to be empty??

eurotec :

Yes, or nearly empty.

Customer:

oh boy...that's hard to know considering the gauge doesn't work! Any special tools needed?

eurotec :

The tool to remove them is listed at the bottom of the document.

Customer:

ah yes, sounds pretty straight forward...jack up car, remove from underneath. How do you ohm it out? What are the readings? 0 ohms for full? And around 300 ohms for empty? That's what I see in the forums...

eurotec :

I would mainly be looking for an open circuit. Just measure across the two contacts and move the arm of the sender up and down. You can also ohm them out in place when the gauge is not working. Just disconnect each sensor and see which one does not give you a reading.

Customer:

ok...thanks!