MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Mercedes-Benz E320 I have an 2003 E320. The SRS light turns

I have an 2003 E320. The SRS light turns on for no apparent reason. Before it does I get a message indicating there is a problem with the SOS feature and then a 2nd message indicating a failure with the SRS. The SOS clears out on restart but the SRS does not. The diagnostic code indicates a problem witha Gateway module. Can you explain what this module does? After I have the codes cleared the problem may not come back for months but it always come back.

Thanks

Nick V
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 6 years ago.
Hi Nick,

The central gateway control module is located on the underside the drivers under dash trim. It contains various coding information for systems on the car & acts as a gateway for the various CAN networks on the vehicle - basically this means it translates & forwards on information for the different networks of the vehicle - chassis, body etc.

I have had these modules causing symptoms that your vehicle has & if this is the case then the gateway module will need to be replaced & requires coding on Mercedes STAR diagnosis after installation.

Best regards, Paul