Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 I had my battery die in my SLK 230 and

I had my battery die in my SLK 230 and now the radio won't power on at all. I have seen some where they need the code or whatever but what might cause the radio to stay black when everything else is working fine?

eurotec :

Hi, sometimes when the battery dies the network gets fouled up. Disconnecting both battery cables and jumping the two cable ends together for five minutes sometimes reboots the network and gets the radio working again. I'd give that a try.

Customer:

This actually happened about 7 months ago. One month ago the battery died AGAIN so I had AAA come out and replace it but still no change. What do you mean by jumping the two ends together?

eurotec :

Disconnect both battery cables from the battery and touch the two ends together. You might need to use a little jumper wire.

eurotec :

By doing so you drain the memory in the control units.

Customer:

Gotcha. After this, won't I still be unable to use the radio until I take it in to Mercedes bc I don't have the code either?

eurotec :

You should also check all fuses.

eurotec :

Yes you will need the radio code if you get the radio to come on. If you post your vin # XXXXX can get your code for you tomorrow.

Customer:

Ok, awesome. I am going to go try what you suggested and will be back. Once it's done, do I just click the "Accept" button to pay you? This is my first time on here...

eurotec :

Yes just click Accept when you are satisfied with my help.

Customer:

Certainly will do, thanks again

eurotec :

You're welcome

Customer:

OK, that resetting worked! It is blinking code so I do need that (like you said). VIN WDBKK49F91F230828. I can't thank you enough! Will gladly send payment and refer people your way!

eurotec :

That's great! I'll post your code in the morning.

Customer:

Just curious, is there anything else I need to do now that I have reset that how you told me? I just remember from some Mercedes forums, people talking about having to turn the wheel back and forth and do other things after losing power completely...

eurotec :

If your esp light is on you'll need to turn the wheel all the way to the left then to the right a few times to initialize the steering angle sensor.

eurotec :

You might also need to synchronize your windows.

eurotec :

Just hold down the window switch to the first click only and continue holding an additional 3 seconds once the window reaches the bottom.

eurotec :

Do the same for the up direction if you have the express up feature.

eurotec :

Doors closed when doing so

Customer:

Great, thank you very much

eurotec :

You're welcome, send me a note tomorrow in case I get busy

Customer:

If I just click and accept now (just so nothing happens and I forget or have technical problems) will you still be able to send me the proper code to reset the stereo?

eurotec :

Yes that will not be a problem. It will go to your email or text.

Customer:

Ok, thanks again. I will certainly be getting back to you another time, I have somehow managed to snap the little wire that helps the top/trunk fold and need to get that fixed (without paying the dealership a ridiculous amount of money).

eurotec :

Good morning. Your radio code is 25211.