Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I have a 99 e430 mercedes the trasmision not shifting

Customer Question
i have a 99 e430 mercedes the trasmision not shifting
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mercedes
9/30/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Pete, Mercedes Mechanic replied 7 years ago
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic

Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to try and assist better.

Is or has your check engine light been on at all?

Does it shift to second gear but not any further past second gear?

Was anything done recently that may have caused this or anything done to try and correct this?

Was anything spilled on or around the shifter assembly?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!

no check engine

Does it upshift to second gear but not any higher then second gear?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!

it's drive on all the only thing is not change the speed. it.s driving only one speed

O.k.,it sounds like you may have an internla failure within the transmission valve body.

These can fail commonly and cause this failure.Also sometimes the shifter can fail internally with the electronics,this will keep the transmission from upshifting.If anything was spilled on or around the shifter recently this will cause this malfunction and in most cases the shifter will have to be replaced.

Since you have no check engine light on this could in fact be a shifter concern here as I have seen some of these fail and not set a check engine light in some cases.

The best thing to have done is to have the computer systems checked for any fault codes,this will aid in diagnosing the failure and may even pinpoint the fault.This usually has to be done by a dealer to be able to read out all the fault codes in all of the computers as most after market scan tools wont allow you to read all computer fault codes.

From what it sounds like here is this can either be a shifter concern or a transmission valve body failure that is causing this,both very common as we have had to replace quite a few of these in the past for this concern.

A shifter can usually cost up to $1000 and about 3 hours to install it.

A valve body can run up to around $2000 and about 3 hours to replace as well.

i scan it no code what do you think replace the transmision

With no codes this could be a shifter assembly at fault here,usually if you have a transmision failure or fault it will set a code,I have seen some shifters fail and not set any codes before,I'm leaning towards this but to be safe I would have it tested as well as the transmission checked.

you dont give me any answer what do you thind thecnicaly

I dont want to tell you what you should replace without it being tested but I do think this is the shifer assembly that is at fault and should be replaced.

If you wanted to replace both the shifter and valve body you can but that would be high in cost this is why I suggest further testing.

I dont think you need to replace the transmission unless you can find one cheaper then the cost of the valve body in the transmission.

But for an answer you can replace the shifter and see if it operates normally from there.

Thanks Pete!

where is the shiter is

The shifter is the assembly you grab to shift the vehicle out of park and into drive right next to the drivers seat.

Thanks Pete!

you talk about gear

I was talking abou the transmission valve body at the bottom of the transmision,these fail mechnically and as well as some of the solenoids on them which can and will cause this type of concern.I have had to replace several of these before for this concern.

Is this what you were asking?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!

do you have the diagram

I dont have any pictures or diagrams of these items but I should have the instructions on both the shifter replacement and the valve body replacement.

Here they are below.

Shifter

Removing, installing

1 Unhook shift rod at intermediate lever by, removing the clip locking device

NOTE: If performing any adjustment work: Adjust shift rod.

2 Remove center console

3 Remove insulation mat

- Model 163.

4 Unclip ignition lock control cable from electronic selector lever module

NOTE: Press locking tab, twist coupling through 90 degrees in direction of arrow and pull off ignition lock control cable.

CAUTION: Installation: Switch ignition lock to position "O".

Function test:

- It must only be possible to move the selector lever out of position "P" when the ignition lock is in position "2" and the brake pedal is

depressed.

- It must only be possible to withdraw the ignition key when the selector lever is in position "P".

5 Unscrew Alien bolts

6 Disconnect selector lever position plug connector

7 Remove electronic selector lever module

CAUTION: Cannot be disassembled.

NOTE: Installation: Check gasket for correct installed position and condition, replace if necessary.

8 Install in the reverse order

NOTE: After installing the electronic selector lever module, read out the fault memory with STAR DIAGNOSIS and program new shifter.

Valve Body

REMOVAL

1. Place selector lever in position "P"

2. Remove transmission connector shield if equipped, then disconnect 13-pin wiring connector

3. Loosen 13 pin connector guide bushing(the part that the wiring connector plugs into) and remove from transmission housing

4. Drain transmission oil by unscrewing oil drain plug

5. Detach oil pan

6. Remove transmission oil filter

7. Unscrew Torx socket head retaining bolts and remove electric hydraulic control module(this is the valve body)

INSTALLATION

- Install in reverse order, noting the following information:

- When installing the electrohydraulic control module(valve body) into the transmission housing, the plastic part of the selector valve must engage the

driver of the dentent plate

- Tighten the following components as noted:

- Oil drain plug on torque converter: 20 Nm

- Bolt, oil pan to transmission housing: 8 Nm

- Bolt, electrohydraulic control module to transmission body: 8 Nm

- Fill transmission with suitable oil and check level.

Did you get my last post,let me know,Thanks Pete!
Are u still there
Relist: Incomplete answer.
because i'm already did that answer
are you there

I am online for a bit here,did you want me to help you with this or someone else?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic