Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

I have fault codes p0060 and p0064. I have a very talented,

I have fault codes p0060 and p0064. I have a very talented, detailed oriented mechanic who is VERY busy. I would like to help him get to the root of this problem. I have had this problem multiple times and he is frustrated as am I. MIS says ignore it, yet I get a check engine light. I cannot ignore that. My mechanic and I feel there may be some deep cause like the stretching of the "perforated: time belts. Cam you provide a deeper insight?
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, those are generic codes but I am going to assume they are camshaft codes. This is a common problem on this particular motor.

eurotec :

I will attach the three possible scenarios for you shortly.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

Yeah, it is as I thought. It doesn't fail immediately on start. Ergo... what would you pursue?

eurotec :

It's a step by step diagnosis. You address the cam adjusters first then the chain and gears.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

#2 or #3, or is it the beginnings of #1. To get to know me a bit better, I raced for almost 2 decades. I landed on kart which many think is pansy racing. But when you go 130MPH 3 inches off the ground... Well, we used chains as the transfer mechanism from clutch to axle.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

OK. and the adjusters are replaceable?

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

that is likely a daft question!

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

sorry...

eurotec :

That's neat. My dad raced Formula Vee for many hears back in the 60's and 70's.

eurotec :

I never got past go-karts :-)

eurotec :

Yes they are replaceable.

eurotec :

years*

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

It was HUGE fun! Then I hit a wall at 100 at about age 43 and realized I heal more slowly than 18 years before. I started at stocks, then sprints, then broke so karts which aren't cheap really. Good engine = $1800 in 2000.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

so I will accept this answer. How may I pay you more for further help once I talk to Jorn

eurotec :

You can just reply back to this question at any time after you accept if you need more help or you can address a new question to "eurotec".

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

ok. Any more advice? Shall I take it to a dealer? I have warranty still and Jorn isn't warranty. Indy or Louisville?

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

and any details you know of on my car?

eurotec :

There are some good training videos on the M272 engine here if he'd like to review them.

eurotec :

Definitely go back to the dealer if it's under warranty!

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

good advice.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

I get you here as eurotec?

eurotec :

yes that is correct

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

you got it. I will be back for further help. I will address another question to you after this for details on my make. Any advice and the odd knocking when I start it. Sound good?

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

I'll crank it up to full $

eurotec :

Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

you got it! You sent documentation that impressed me and I am hard to impress

eurotec :

LOL, it's easy when you have the service bulletins at your fingertips :-)

JACUSTOMER-ih6yfor9- :

yes, but even the dealership doesn't give me that level of service. So I need a chap like you to keep me current and on track. Accept the role?

eurotec :

Absolutely, I will do my best.