Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Mercedes-Benz sprinter I have a mercedes sprinter 413 cdi.

I have a mercedes sprinter 413 cdi. It will shut down while driving and if I turn the key off on on quickly it will restart, it may then run for a hundred kilometres or it may stop again in a hundred metres. It stops going up hill, down hill and cruising on flat ground, it appears to have no correlation to speed or throttle setting or road condition. Replaced so far fuel pressure sensor, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, high pressure pump has been repaired and low pressure pump has been checked. when it shuts down the EDC light comes on
Chat Conversation Started
Diagnostics Engineer :

Diagnostics Engineer :

Were the fault codes read out from Engine Control Unit? If yes, which ones were strored?

Customer :

i have requested the fault codes of the computer, as soon as i get them i will let you know

Diagnostics Engineer :

Ok, let me know once you have the codes.

Diagnostics Engineer :

Cheers,

Customer :

Apparently all the fault codes have been removed from the computer, thats a good way to stop somebody else knowing what is wrong. They now tell me that number 4 injector is faulty and that a faulty injector will stop the engine dead. I find that hard to believe but my mechanical experience is 30 years old as that is when I left the trade. They say that the only fault code still on the computer is a low pressure one. amazingly only 2 weeks ago they told me that all the injectors were ok.

Customer :

Also the vehicle will sometimes go for 6 to 7 hundred kilometres before any trouble and sometimes only a couple of hundred metres

Customer :

I would be looking for a bad electrical connection or a problem with the ignition switch, what are your thoughts?

Diagnostics Engineer :

According to the symptoms, and if the fault codes confirm electrical fault of the injector- that would cause the engine to shut down.

Diagnostics Engineer :

CDI injectors are actuated by a high-voltage signal produced by a single condenser for all of them in ECU. If one injector shorts out - all others are switched off.

Diagnostics Engineer :

But a common problem on Sprinters is injector wiring harness rubbing through at the intake maifold support. So due to a vibration, the damaged injector wire comes into contact with engine ground and shuts the engine down intermittently. So i suggest to start with a thorough wiring inspection starting from injectors and up to the ECU.

Diagnostics Engineer :

But the common failure spot is at the metal intake support.