Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 SL500: convertible top..the trunk lid opened it lost power..blown…

Customer Question
while trying to let the...
while trying to let the convertible top up on my 2004 SL500 after the trunk lid opened it lost power is it possible to have blown a fuse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/29/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Not usually, the top has probably had a malfunction and is not contacting one of the very many limit switches it needs in order to keep moving the top through its chain of events. For just about every bend there is a limit switch the computer needs to see in order to start the next event. A common problem is the side flaps attached to the trunk lid that fold in and out. If the flaps did not recess all the way into the trunk lid, the top closing will stop as soon as the trunk lid opens. Look for one of the flaps not being completely pressed up against the trunk lid. If it is not you can have someone try and hold it temporarily while you try to put up the top. Be careful not to get pinched in the process.
I'm not sure what flaps you are reffering to
If the trunk lid is open they are the inside/roof of the trunk lid. They have the leather on them and they fold out when the top is down to cover the hydraulic components.
ok currently with the trunk lid open the flaps are still up on both sides I gently tried to push them down but they did not move so i didnt want to force them
Is the convertible top still recessed into the trunk?
yes
With the key off, I would have someone help you manually lift the top up out of the trunk. Be careful to fold the partition out of the way so the top does not get scratched when pulling it up. Once you get it out, line up the latches and guide pins on the top and windshield frame (A-pillars). After that is done, turn the key on and try to finish closing the top. Once you get it past some of these switches, the top should start operating normally. Do you get any warnings in the dash, or hear anything when you try to operate the top?
just malfunction1. by doing what you suggested pulling the top out manually will this do any further damage to the mechanics
no, the top is made to be manually put up in case of an emergency. Just make sure you have 2 people.
ok i'll give it a try

I am going to sleep so I will get back to you in the morning. After midnight here.

o ok.
The system should be scanned for fault codes first. I don't think it is low on hydraulic fluid since the system shuts down and still doesn't work when you almost closed the top. You can check to see if is low though, by pulling the trunk floor panel by the spare tire. The pump is on the left and there is a plastic resevoir you can see inside with the fluid level. If there is no fluid in there then you definitely have a leak in one of the hydraulic cylinders.
last question for now becuase i no u want to go to bed. I pulled the top up manually and lined the pins up. I am going to take it to the shop so should i put the top back down into the trunk because the flaps on the trunk are still up and wont allow the trunk to close or is there a way to manually close the flaps

No way to close the flaps manually. I would just drive the car with the top down then, as long as you can get the trunk to latch. There should have been fluid in the resevoir.