Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1977 mercedes: rpm..shake..ticking..car is revving a little higher…

Customer Question
Hi I have a 1977...
Hi I have a 1977 mercedes 450 slc, currently, when warm the engine ticks over at about 550 to 600 rpm. At this engine speed, the engines seems to rumble and shake a little bit. according to my hanes manual, the engine should be ticking over at approx 750rpm, after startup, when the choke is active and the car is revving a little higher, the engine feels a lot smoother. What needs to be done to increase the engine idle speed
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/28/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, on your 77 there should be big idle air bleed screw at the front of the intake manifold on the left hand side. Turn the screw counterclockwise to raise the idle speed. Follow the breather hose from your driver's side valve cover to the manifold. It connects right next to the air bleed screw. Let me know if you have any questions.