Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 MERCEDES: My mechanic..vito..assembling..sensors are different…

My mechanic has just exchanged...
My mechanic has just exchanged an engine out of my 2005 MERCEDES VITO 115CDI with another engine out of a later model 115CDI (maybe 08 or 09 engine, as very low milage). He has found some small differences between engines when assembling the original bits onto the later engine.
Is there anything he should know about 2 engines the same but from different years as he's had to modify some bits and thinks maybe some sensors are different even though they plug in ok. Vehicle also wont start! Regards Mark
6/28/2010
Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician

Hello Mark,

To give you a qualified answer i would need the VIN of your van and the engine number from the new unit, or the Vin of the donor.

Please tell me, does the starter crank the engine? Was the engine control unit replaced?

Regards,

Stan

Hi Stan, I don't really know about the engine control unit or the engine cranking over ,but will find out more infomation tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, my 2005 vin No is WDF63960123141107 ... and engine No is 64698250123141107 ....

The 2008 donor Vin WDF63970323436148 . Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

For some reason, the code WDF63960123141107 is not recognized, maybe there is a typing error?

WDF63970323436148 has newer type of injection nozzles, which would mean that the injection system is working on completely different pressures. So if the control units sees incorrect injectors installed, the engine will not fire. I suggest to make sure that the injectors from the original engine are used.

Regards,

Stan

Thanks Stan, I'll inform the mechanic in the morning ... Are there any other things that you think could cause problems to occur when mixing 2005 external bits with a 2008 block/head? Regards Mark

Can you please recheck the VIN?

Otherwise, i cannot confirm which injectors were used on your van. I checked other components, and found nothing that could prohibit starting. If injectors are different, then their return flow lines and fuel filter should be different as well.

But pumps and fuel rails should be interchangeable.

Regards,

Stan

My fault Stan, Vin No is WDF63960123148538.... Ta

Injectors are indeed different. So please make sure that they and original Engine control unit are used- without any of these parts the van will not start.

Other parts should be ok. Only other big difference i found are the turbochargers. But ECU should be able to compensate any difference in performance.

Regards,

Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Hi again Stan, The Vito now starts easily and runs with the changing of the injectors, though it apparently is sluggish and the engine light comes on when driving and stays on ... Should i take it to Mercedes Benz and have it diagnosed ? Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear you got it running. I suggest to check the connectors one more time, especially for the turbocharger actuation. And if everything looks ok, have the van tested with Star Diagnosis computer- it will give the best overview of the situation. BTW, some independent Mercedes specialists have this tool as well

Regards,

Stan

Thanks again Stan, I'll get it checked out when it arrives from interstate ... Yes, the 57,000 klm original motor demolished itself one hour and 118 klms out of Adelaide after it bought it privately. It seems one of the bearings on the crankshaft failed at 120klms an hour while passing a roadtrain ... I couldn't pull over straight away as i was commited to pass with another car doing the same behind me .... Anyway, turns out my new and expensive addition to the family also in the process damaged the auto trans as in the the t/converter and oil pump which were destroyed in the process. The block was unrepairable, hence the new motor ... and so the $24,000 Vito i purchased 3 months ago has cost me another $8,000 for another engine, but finally it is on it's way home to Perth, on the back of a truck. The ex owner of one hour was good enough to pay for the trans rebuild and labour putting it all back together again,, motor included ... Thank god he helped me out ,or it could have cost a lot more ... It was his mechanic doing the repairs, and the ex owner telling me all the bad news for the past three months ... His mechanic was getting a bit frustrated with it, thats where you came in Stan ... Thanks again for you help ... Hopefully the engine light will turn out to be something inexpensive!

Stay tuned ... Regards Mark

That is a perfect storm you faced there Mark,

It is fare that the previous owner took a share in that. Let me know which codes are detected, will do my best to help you further if needed.

Cheers,

Stan

Hi Stan, My Vito is currently in getting a diagnostic at Mercedes Benz .... I have another problem with getting the stereo(MB) as i have no code! The serial is XXXXXXXXX 4 ...

The model is 3385MB2 .... Could you help with this problem? Regards Mark

Hi Mark,

Is the radio from the van? The serial got X-ed out- put a letter A in front of the serial for the program not to think it's a phone number.

Cheers,

Stan

Oh ok, It is a factory stereo ... A464012815-4 ... Ta

Sorry, cannot find any data on this radio. The program suggests that the code might not be needed for this radio.

Regards,

Stan

Hi Stan, I have a problem with the brake fluid level light on the dash lighting up after 15 mins of driving the Vito ... The light remains on until i turn the vehicle off, but if i get back in and start it when it's still warm, it comes on straight away ... It has been doing this for quite a few weeks now ... The brake fluid level 'is' at the full mark ! ... I did disconnect the electrical connector from the fluid holder and drove the vehicle for a day to see what happens, and once again the fluid warning light came on after 15 mins, even with it unplugged .... The red brake warning light also came on when the connector was unpluged, though thats understandable as it dissappeared when i reconnected the plug!

There is no brake scrape, and the brakes are working very well with no fade.

What do you think could be the problem? Regards Mark