Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

99 C230: Compressor..rough idle..sputtering..check engine light…

Customer Question
'99 C230 Compressor has a...
'99 C230 Compressor has a rough idle and won't accelerate without sputtering. Can't do a hard acceleration without check engine light coming on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/27/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
When was the last time the vehicle was tuned up? Besides replacing spark plugs and checking for misfires due to the plugs or coils being bad, I would look into the camshaft magnet electrical connection at the front of the engine head. Remove the plastic cover on the top front the engine and behind this is an electrical cam magnet for the variable timing adjustment. Unplug the connector and inspect for oil residue in or around the electrical plug. If you find some the first thing to do is to inspect the rest of the engine harness for the same things. Look at the 02 sensors, the Mass Air Flow Sensor plug, etc...Make sure you especially look at the Engine control module plugs. Follow all the engine harness wires to where they all come together and in that box is where the engine module is located. IF there is oil in the module this must be replaced along with any other sensors that have oil and the harness as well. This is the best repair but not the least expensive. IF you want to try and save money you should buy electrical contact cleaner and try spraying all the connectors and use compressed air to dry them out. No matter what the cam magnet must be replaced as well as a modified connector that is placed in line with the magnet and the harness to prevent oil in the future.
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
Thanks for your help. Can you estimate cost for a complete tune up as proposed - 134,000 miles?
Spark plugs prob 400 dollars with labor. The fuel filter maybe 400 dollars with labor. Air filter 80 dollars. Coolant flush 150 and brake flush 150.