Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1969 280se: i get maybe one or two backfires and hesitation…

Customer Question
I have a 1969 280se...
I have a 1969 280se with 169000 miles.
1. while cold. i get maybe one or two "backfires" and hesitation while accelarating. How can I fix this. Is it something to do with the timing?
2. What is the normal temperature reading. I get about 160 on the temp. gauge and think this is too low??
3. The automatic gearbox only changes to 3 and 4 if i lift foot off the gas. Is this normal??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/27/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, the cold running is most likely a problem with the cold running device on top of the mechanical injection pump. There is a small thermostat that actuates an enrichment device when cold. Often times the mechanism seizes up and doesn't move to the rich position or the thermostat can go bad. Your engine should run at 180° C. It sounds like your engine thermostat may be stuck open for that problem. As far as your shifting goes some adjusting may be needed to the transmission. Some models had a control rod from the throttle linkage that attached to the transmission. Adjustment of that rod could affect your shifting. The modulator pressure can also affect the shifts as well.