Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E class: 2006 Mercedes..Comand..it, the audio system shuts down…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Mercedes...
I have a 2006 Mercedes E class with the standard Comand audio system.
I am trying to have a Dension Gateway 500 MOST Ipod adapter installed. When they hooked up the Gateway system and attempted to program it, the audio system shuts down.
The audio system works fine as long as the Gateway is off. Does anyone know the subleties of the Dension Gateway 500? Any recommendations on what to try?
These are supposed to be the best Ipod adapters on the market, but we can't get it to work.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/27/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
I'm not too familiar with that exact system you are installing however whenever we installed the factory ipod adaptor in the dealer we would have to replace the auxiliary output on the radio with the ipod. I know you were not able to leave both installed at the same time. Maybe this piece of information will help.
I am now being told by Dension that the Comand system in my car needs to have the CD changer 'unlocked' in order to be able to use the Gateway unit. Apparently, there is a code that needs to be entered into the radio to enable CDC port. Do you know anything about the process required to do this?
I don't know about any numerical code that needs to be entered. When we would install we would go into the radio with the mercedes scanner and change the settings to allow for Ipod to be installed and to make sure the fiber optic ring is set in the proper order.
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
My audio shop referred me to the dealer to get the fiber optic ring set up. The dealer said that what you suggested couldn't be done after charging me an outrageous fee for 'diagnostics'. I have now given up on getting my ipod to work in this car. Please don't send me any more requests for questions and/or payments.