Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

92 mercedes 400se: speedometer stop working..power steering..sluggish…

Customer Question
I have 92 mercedes 400se...
I have 92 mercedes 400se the speedometer stop working , the abs light came on and the power steering is sluggish.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/26/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, it sounds like you may have some bad fuses in the base module. I've attached it's location below. The module provides power to the ABS control unit. If the ABS control unit fails or does not have power you will have all of the symptoms you mention above.

Full Size Image

Customer:

I checked the fuses and they are good.

eurotec :

Ok, then the ABS module needs to be checked for fault codes. A bad module or a bad wheel speed sensor could cause the problem.

Customer:

How do you check wheel speed sensor ,I tried another abs module did not fix problem.

eurotec :

The wheel speed sensor can be tested with an ohmmeter for continuity and with an AC voltmeter to see if it's producing a voltage when spinning the wheel. You would do these tests with the key off and the sensor disconnected. The left front sensor should provide your vehicle speed signal.

Customer:

I checked the continuity with a digital meter and it read like it was open but when I checked ac voltage could see milvolts changing while spinning wheel.

eurotec :

If the sensor did not ohm out I would suggest you try a new one or compare your readings to the other side.