Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2005 ML500: satnav..Sat..me my current location is some 100 miles…

Hi I have a 2005 ML500...
Hi
I have a 2005 ML500. The built in satnav has stopped working & looks like it's not picking up any satelites. the corner of the display constantly says Sat 00
It is getting very confused & now tells me my current location is some 100 miles to the south. I live on the Isle of Wight & travel weekly to the mainland which seems to confuse the situation even further.
Is there a common reason as to why it's not picking up a gps position?
6/26/2010
John, ASE Certified Technician
Chat Conversation Started
john :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

john :

If serviced properly I would not believe a vehicle like this to have a mechanical problem at this time,it could happen,but....

john :

This condition can be caused by faulty or stopped up fuel injectors.

john :

It can be caused by losing injector pulse or induced EMI (electromagnetic interference) if a low voltage wire is placed too close to a high voltage source.

john :

I DO APPOLOGIZE ,I HAVE THE INCORRECT QUESTION,SORRY.

I will have you question relisted.

john :

There will be another expert to help you,I do appologize for the mistake.

Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician

A faulty GPS antenna is very common on this car. It causes no satellite reception and erroneous map positions.

Thanks can you please be more specific?
Where is the antenna situated? And is it just a matter of replacing it?

The antenna is located on the back of the roof in the center. It is common for water to get in and corrode the terminals. Yes you can try replacing it but I would have the vehicle scanned for fault codes. When the antenna does go bad, it usually sets a fault code for the antenna having an open circuit.

Michael Warfield