Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

how do i do the fuel timeing on my 1987 300tdt

6/26/2010
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, is the pump installed on the motor

eurotec :

?

Customer:

yes on the driver side of the motor

eurotec :

Ok, what work was done to the motor that requires the pump to be timed?

Customer:

well i got the car this winter ago and this sumer it over heats on larg steep hils. i did the head gasket and i prity sher the timeing was not jumped and did water pump (found small leek from water pump) leak gon but still over heats and it seams to be a lil gutless and blows more smoke then i think it should.

Customer:

yeah lines right up with the marks. it was gutles and smoked befor i did the head

eurotec :

I gave you the instructions for checking the pump timing above. It is simple but can be confusing. Do you understand what they mean when they say to remove the spring and delivery valve from the holder?

Customer:

not realy im a beginer tech and dont work on diesel. can you explain a lil. if not ill figer it out.

Customer:

over flow pipe on the fuel pump/distributor. would it be ok to make one out of a line from a junk 300tdt by cuting and bending

eurotec :

Well to start with you need to remove the fuel line from #1 cylinder and then unscrew the delivery valve holder from the injection pump. It takes a special socket to remove the holder. You must not loosen the two 8 mm nuts on the flange below the holder if you have that style pump. So the first thing you will need is the special socket. Click here for a good DIY on resealing the delivery valves. The 11th picture down shows the valve with the copper washer on the top. The spring is already removed.

eurotec :

You need to remove the spring and the center plunger of the valve and reassemble the holder without them.

eurotec :

What I like to do is then attach a hose to the holder instead of the drip pipe and run the hose into a bottle of water so you can view the air bubbles coming from the hose.

Customer:

ok thanks this helped alot

eurotec :

Then I remove the fuel inlet line to the pump and connect a hose there also. I get the motor close to the correct timing position and begin blowing into the hose.

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

I continue blowing as I rotate the motor slowly towards the timing mark. As you get close to the mark the bubbles will drastically slow down and come to a complete stop when you reach the start of delivery. As soon as the bubbles stop read your timing mark on the front pulley and that is where your pump is set at.