Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1998 c230 check engine light on code po410

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Merc-Dude, Mercedes Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Merc-Dude
Merc-Dude, Mercedes Diagnostic Technician
Hi there this fault code relates to the secondary air pump circuit .A very common fault is the emission valve to the rear of the engine is stuck close .There are three valve which control this emission regulation but the most common is the large mechanical valve which can be seen if you remove the two plastic cover on the left hand side of the engine .With these removed you will see a black rubber hose at the rear of the engine which makes a turn down towards the gearbox .If this hose is removed you will see a cone shaped valve this will need to be remove ,it can be very difficult due to its location .To remove it you will need a bent spanner or a crows foot I seem to remember it to be a 22mm or 24mm in size .With the valve removed you should only be able to blow through it in one direction they tend to fail solid and not allow any air through in any direction .As regards XXXXX XXXXX UK price is around £40 . If this valve is operating correctly as a one way valve then you should check the next valve along the black hose same proceeder with this one .Final if these are ok there is an electrical solenoid valve next to the second valve sat down between the manifold pipe which have been known to stick also . I hope this has guided you to your problem please click accept if my answer has helped you Cheers Dave