Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 E320: wagon..the gas cap the car starts, but this is..mechanical…

Customer Question
my mother has a 2000...
my mother has a 2000 E320 wagon and is experiencing intermittent problems with it not starting after it has been running. After adjusting the gas cap the car starts, but this is obviously not an ideal situation. She would like to identify and correct whatever mechanical problem is causing this. The mechanics at her Mercedes dealership can't seem to mimic the non-starting and therefore are not doing much.

any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/23/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, does this usually happen when the car is hot? Has anything been replaced yet in an effort to solve the problem?

Customer:

Yes, it usually happens when the car has been running and then turned off. I think the gas cap may have been replaced.

eurotec :

Most likely the gas gap or fuel system has nothing to do with this problem. I honestly think that is a coincidence. If the car does not start hot but will start after a longer cooling period I suggest you try a new crankshaft position sensor. It is a very common problem with this model and acts up when hot.

Customer:

what is a crankshaft position sensor and why would it prevent the car from starting when it is hot?

eurotec :

The crank sensor sends the signal to the computer to let the computer know that you are cranking the motor. When the sensor begins to fail it overheats and stops sending the signal. Once it cools it begins working again. Eventually it will get worse and result in a total no start. It's a hard problem to catch because it doesn't usually last very long and it also doesn't store a fault code in the computer most of the time.

eurotec :

You could very well have something different happening but if they are unable to find anything I'd try a sensor.

Customer:

Thanks. We'll see if the dealership wants to regard this suggestion.

eurotec :

Good luck with it!