Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1967 250S: Replaced master cylinder new slave cylendar...clutch petal.

Customer Question
<p>Proper way to bleed a...
<p>Proper way to bleed a master and slave clutch cylindar on 1967 250S 4 speed. Replaced master cylinder new slave cylendar. We have no clutch petal. It just flops.</p><p>We installed a Beck/Arnley clutch master cylinder. This one did not have a bleed valve like to old one.</p>
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/23/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, the simplest way to bleed it might be to crack open the bleeder on the slave and connect a hose from the bleeder and drop it onto a clear bottle of brake fluid and just pump the pedal by hand until you get little or no air bubbles then close the bleeder. Once you get a pedal you can hold it down and quickly crack open and then close the bleeder on the slave to expel any remaining air.

eurotec :

Make sure the brake fluid remains full at all times.

Customer:

we did this

eurotec :

What happened? Did you get air bubbles in the fluid when you pumped it?

eurotec :

Another method is to fill a clean oil can full of brake fluid and fill the system backwards by pumping the fluid in from below.

eurotec :

Are you sure you have clearance at the clutch pedal so that your cylinder is coming all the way back when you release the pedal?

Customer:

yes we believe so

eurotec :

Ok, you need to make sure of that or the master won't draw and fluid.

eurotec :

If you open the bleeder at the slave will it gravity bleed?

It looks like your replies were not coming through in the chat. Try posting them here if you need more help.

Edited by eurotec on 6/23/2010 at 10:03 AM EST