Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

drove..wouldnt start when she tried to go home.

Customer Question
Have a 1988 300 TE...
Have a 1988 300 TE. Wife drove it to work and she told me it was skipping badly when she got into the lot. Wouldn't start when she tried to go home. The fuel pump t'aint working. I need to know location of fuel pump relay and fuse location. I already checked the fuse box under the hood and it isn't there. Naturally, I'm hoping it isn't the pump. I'm not a parts changer. I've got 35 years in the HVAC service field so diagnosis is second nature to me. Just need to know where to look. The car has 225k and has gotten balky starting for the past 2 weeks. It did set for a while. My father in law gave it to me for wiring his garage.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/22/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, there were two different types of relay around that year. Can you post your vin # XXXXX?

Customer:

VIN is WDBEA9D6JF057360

eurotec :

Sorry I got called to dinner. Your car should use the earlier style relay located behind the battery. I've attached a picture below. You can remove the relay and install a fused jumper from terminal 7 to 8 (30 & 87) in the relay connector and see if your pump runs.

eurotec :

Full Size Image