Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

350sd: this be to injector timing..flushed..radiator

Customer Question
My 350sd is running hot...
My 350sd is running hot, about 100C. Could this be to injector timing? I changed the thermostat & flushed the radiator. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/20/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, the injection timing is fixed and not easy to check or adjust as special tools are required. There is also no reason for it to change but if you are suspicious you could look at the three mounting nuts where the pump mounts to the block and see if the pump has been moved. You should be able to clearly see the outline of the washers on the pump where it was moved from. If your car only runs hot in traffic it is more likely to have a cooling fan fault either with the viscous fan clutch or with the auxiliary cooling fans. I would see if both are operating properly. Your hard starting doesn't make sense however. Was the transmission removed from the car?

Customer:

Yes,

eurotec :

Well if the motor was turned backwards while removing the torque converter it's remotely possible that the timing chain jumped a tooth. If the car runs and performs differently you might bring that to their attention and have them inspect the timing.

Customer:

Yes, the transmission replaced with a remanufactured unit. The temperatue always gets up to 100C, then the engine wabbles quite a bit. I can increase the RPM's to 1K to make it not wobble so much. I have to let it cool down before it will start. The engine cranks good, but it won't start. Could it be a fuel delivery problem. I replaced the filters, and had the injectors bench tested.

Customer:

Well, the engine runs great with the same amount of power that it had before. If the valve timing was off this would not be so. Do you have any other ideas?

Customer:

What about fuel delivery when it's hot? Could it be it's not getting enough fuel? How could I check this?

eurotec :

You can't check fuel delivery you can only check pump timing and that requires special tool. Fuel delivery is a direct result of cam timing and pump timing.

Customer:

I know that I have one bad glow plug, and will replace it when they get in. I don't think that would affect starting when the engine is hot, would it?

eurotec :

No it would cause more of a cold start problem.

Customer:

So how could I best check the cam timing?

Customer:

Sounds good, but http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eurotec/2010-06-20_124430_Engine_Basic_Timing_Marks.pdf didn't come up. Do you have a different one? Thanks, ac

eurotec :

You may need to click on it a few times to get it to come up.

eurotec :

Did you get it to work?

Customer:

Yes, I did. Let me check out the timing marks. Will let you know.

eurotec :

ok

Customer:

Ok, just checked the timing marks and they line up perfectly. I was hoping it would be off but it's not. Any suggestions?

Customer:

Do you think it could be something as simple as the clutch fan?

eurotec :

You seem to have two things going on with the car. The hot running and the hard starting. I would consider the fan clutch and auxiliary cooling fan as a possibility if the car runs cool on the road. Your rough running and hard starting might be air in the fuel system. I'd inspect very closely for signs of fuel seepage on and around the injection pump and lines.