Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

what activates the auxiliary fan when the air conditioning is on?..SL…

Customer Question
what activates the auxiliary fan...
what activates the auxiliary fan when the air conditioning is on? l975 450 SL
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/16/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, there should be a switch mounted in the a/c drier to activate the auxiliary fan. I've attached a picture below.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

Full Size Image

Customer:

What is the name of this part? Where is it located?

eurotec :

It is the a/c temperature switch and it is mounted in the receiver drier.

Customer:

Where do I look for the receiver drier?

Customer:

I found the part-what is the name of this part so I can order it from merz?

Customer:

Will removing it let the freon escape?

eurotec :

Before you do that turn the air on and connect the two wires together and see if the fan comes on.

Customer:

I conneccted the two wires and the fan started.

eurotec :

Ok, do you have the red switch or the gold switch?

eurotec :

If it's the gold switch the part # XXXXX XXXXX 820 80 10. If it's the red switch the part # XXXXX XXXXX 820 68 10.

Customer:

I really can't tell what color it is but it isn't red-it looks black.

eurotec :

If you look at my pictures it will look more like one than the other. If it's like the top picture you will not lose any refrigerant when you remove it. If it's like the bottom picture you will need to remove the refrigerant first.

Customer:

well it looks like the second picture-bottom-what number is XXXXX?

eurotec :

The bottom picture is part # XXXXX 820 68 10. You will need to evacuate the system to replace it.

Customer:

OK-thanks a lot-great job-

eurotec :

You're welcome. Good luck with it!