Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2002 clk430: conv..doest..late model 02 any suggestions

Customer Question
buying a 2002 clk 430...
buying a 2002 clk 430 conv top does't work late model 02 any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/15/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
I would try manually opening, and then closing the top first. A lot of times there is just a sticking latch and as soon as you move it through its normal motions manually, it starts to work normally. Here is a link to the instructions in the owners manual. www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/owners_manuals
picking the car up friday will follow up then
ok let me know.
Are u there
Have you tried the manual opening and closing yet?
Not yet. I have a driver seat issue. I can't even drive it because the seat is all the way back and does nothing. I trouble shot it. It's not the fuses. I took off the door panel and it's not the switches. I have power to the control box on the door and to the one under the seat
just trying to move the motor so I can get the seat to the middle. Trying to hot wire
the front-back motor. But cNt figure how to do it. There are 5 wires. Looks like the control box under the seat was taken out before I got the car. Try for hours. Stumped
please help
If you hear the seat module clicking while you press the seat switch, you know at least the switch is good. Out of the five wires, the two thickest wires are the ones that should control the motor. The other 3 are for hall effect sensor in the motor. If you have a spare battery lying around or some really long jumper wires, you can apply power and ground to these 2 thicker wires to move the seat back and forth.
First of all Im now towing the car to pa because I couldn't figure out the seat. No offense. On answeing my questions 24 hours later isn't doing me much good. I'd like to keep working w/ you & pay you, but I need quicker responses & se resolution to my problems. W/ that being said I did try to jump motor using the fusebox and good ground to the 2 wires u stated in ur post. Got nothing. None of the motors work also when u lift level to get in back, that doesnothing either. When I was troubleshooting the system I put the right control box on the left door amd it moved right seat. That's crazy. Please respond asap
The right door control module moved the right seat because it uses a network to communicate to the seat control module, so regardless of where the module is positioned it sends the data over the network and that is why the passenger seat moved. If you jumped power to the motor and it still didn't move, you have a bad motor. I won't be expecting you to accept the answer anyways but it was last week when i originally tried helping you, this weekend and today I have been busy with roadside assistance almost the whole time.
I don't mind paying for ur help. & I will if u diagnose my problem. Is it possible all 3 motors r shot at the same time? The module under the seat on the passenger side when I test the connector it has power to 2 leads. When I test control module on driver side I only have power to one lead. Also when I took the seat cushion off the seat control module was not mounted, so someone replaced it or was messing w/ it before I was. It's possible that I didn't hotwire the motor correctly. Could the seat module cAuse everything not to work if it's bad? or b/c there's only 1 hot lead going into the drivers side module & there's 2 hot leads to my working seat on the pass??? Could that be my problem? Thanks for the quick response. Please respond asap.
Not all 3 motors will go bad at the same time, my guess is you didn't have a good enough ground or connection. I would grab a battery laying around and use that to apply power to the seats or use long leads directly from the battery in the trunk. It should be pretty obvious on which wires to jump it with because they are the thicker ones that actually carry amperage.
About the motor I will try that later today, but what do u think is causing the problem? Do u think it's the control module b/c there's only 1lead hot out of 2. I have checked all fuses. Please respond asap. Are u from California?

I read a post that said the control module goes out alot so I bought one for 125.00

fixed the problem. I still have the problem with my top not working at all the windows go down when I open the top I push the button and nothing happens and the light starts to blink slow after 5 seconds. I'm willing to accept your answers when I we figure what is wrong with my top thanks

Relist: Answer came too late.