Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

98 slk230: off followed by a slew of problems with my car…

Customer Question
Dave, I am about to go...
Dave,

I am about to go crazy & poor because. my my 98 slk230! I currently got laid off followed by a slew of problems with my car. I have never had problems in the past.

I have been having this problem where periodically, the car just wont start. I have paid many mechanics to diagnose and find the problem.. It is not the starter, battery, fuel pump etc. They cannot replicate the problem! I even left it there for two weeks and it started on a dime. Its like the car hates ME! We even replaced the ignition switch only to find that it still does the problem of not starting on occasion on me. Mechanics think I am crazy!

Now, the alarm will go off late at night and then stop. Never goes off in the day time, just right when I am about to go to sleep. I have checked the PSE and all looks ok.

I am writing to you, praying that you know what all this could be. Reading through your post about PSE, you have provided better information and my hopes of understanding the problem with my car. Please let me know what you think. I can no longer afford to keep paying my mechanics only to not replicate or know the problem. Most appreciated.

God bless,

Arch
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
6/12/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 8 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi Arch, if you are having a problem with the starter not operating on occasion I suggest you replace the K40 relay located under the hood next to the battery. It is a very common cause of a no start on your car.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

Customer:

How about the alarm? what might you think is going on with the alarm? Thanks

eurotec :

The alarm might still be a bad PSE module but I would focus on your no start first.

eurotec :

The PSE can be scanned for faults and to see what triggered the alarm with the use of Star Diagnosis.