Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

E430: my merc..collision center for a bumper..A/C is not cooling…

Greetings, I just got my...
Greetings, I just got my Merc E430 just out of a collision center for a bumper and some front damage. They replaced also the A/C condenser. The A/C is not cooling as before. I have made the A/C Diagnosis, as found on the Internet. Here are the data: #1 = 73, #2 = 83, #3 = 40, #4 = 46, #5 = 48, #6 = 134, #7 = 13, #8 = 132.
Got the error message: Eb1 234 and E FF. the ambient was 75 degr. F with about 60% humidity (Houston weather!).
Could you detect, if there is a sufficient charge in the system?
Thanks.
Georg
5/10/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: mbfixer, Mercedes Technician replied 12 years ago
mbfixer
mbfixer, Mercedes Technician
hello sir the number 7 is the actual value for the freon pressure, 13 bar is plenty for the system to be cold. is the electric fan working?? is the new condenser OE or after market?? i have seen in my time some of the replacement condensers will be different that the old original condenser the after market condenser will be single row instead of dual row condenser. also your outside temps and humidity were not that warm. allot of time on this model you can hear a noise from the ac system when the system is low on freon, esp sitting inside the car (swooshing type noise). also using the pushbutton numbers you gave, the #5 is the actual value for the in car evaporator temp sensor, it was blowing 48 degrees #2 is the actual value outside temp sensor its showing 83 degrees , almost 30some degree difference. it appears from your numbers that the a\c system is working properly. i would check and make sure engine fan is working also check the side of the ac condenser this there one row of tubes or 2 rows of tubes?? let me know how to help some more be glad to steve

Edited by mbfixer on 5/10/2010 at 11:10 PM EST
mbfixer
mbfixer, Mercedes Technician

High there, thanks for your answer. Checked the fan, its running. Without opening covers over condenser/radiator cannot see if the conderser has one or two rows. Will find out tomorrow when visit the collision center since they have other small itmes I found incorrect assembled. All I know their billing (to the insurance) which reads: "Replace A/M Condenser assy E430 & E55" for $210. Does not sound very Mercedes!

Thanks for your explanation on the findings of the A/C Diagnosis.

Regards,

G. Mikulcik

hello these a\c condensor are not expensive. i would like to see #'s 5 and 7 actual values on a really hot and humid day. it could be that your a\c system is low on freon, this way of testing through pushbutton are not exact numbers, numbers you can trust, you must use a\c gauges and measure the freon that is to be put into the system. to really be sure system is completely full. thank you and good luck.
mbfixer
mbfixer, Mercedes Technician