Mercedes

Have Mercedes questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Our Mercedes starts and idles but won't move. The engine…

Our Mercedes starts and idles...
Our Mercedes starts and idles but won't move. The engine check light is not on.
4/4/2010
Mercedes Mechanic: nelson garcia, Mercedes Mechanic replied 12 years ago
nelson garcia
nelson garcia, Mercedes Mechanic
Can you move the shifter selector into Neutral,Reverse,Drive?Try to start the car with the shifter at every position and let me know if it start.It could be a bad shifter but 1st answer my question,thanks Nelson
nelson garcia
nelson garcia, Mercedes Mechanic
We can only start the car in Neutral and Park. We can't start the car in Reverse or Drive but we can move the shifter to those positions.
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have seen a lot of Mercedes experts on line this weekend and no one is answering my question. I'm 64 years old, so if I have done something wrong, you have to be clear and tell me. We still can't get the car to move.
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 12 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
HiCustomer perhaps I can help you. Can you explain how all this started? Was any work done to the car recently? Can you tell me what happens when you put the car in drive and try to accelerate?

Marty
It started as soon as my son tried to due the normal warm up after the winter. The car wasn't driven this winter. It worked before winter. The car idles perfectly. The gas pedal in any gear doesn't work...it's a dead pedal...the RPMs don't climb. The cable to the TPS sensor is hooked up and bolted up fine. Electrical plug snaps in fine.
Ok, is the check engine light or any other warning lights on?
No
Ok, it doesn't make sense that there is no check engine light but I would have to suspect a fault in the throttle position sensor itself. I'm wondering if the sensor is moving externally but nothing internally is happening. If the car were in the shop it would be connected to the Mercedes tester to view the actual values of the throttle sensor and throttle actuator. Assuming your check engine light actually works, comes on with key and goes off when starting, I'd have to suspect the throttle position sensor. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

My son ordered a TPS through EBay. He is a mechanic. He has said all along he thought it was no good. We have ordered an OEM Hella Throttle Position Sensor.

I will let you know how it works. I ordered it overnight but since it's so late, it probably won't get here until Thursday and my son probably won't be able to put it in until Saturday. I will stay in touch. Thanks for all your help to this point!

Ok, please keep me posted. I'm anxious to hear the results.

We replaced the TPS today and then started the car again. It idles smoothly. When you step on the throttle, it pulsates between 1000-1300 RPM. This pulsating doesn't stop unless you turn the car off. ASR light is on continuously and cannot be turned off, even if you push down on the bottom half of the button. The car still does not move when placed in gear.

This website keeps saying you will get an answer in 24 hours. I posted the note above on Sunday noon and this is Tuesday late evening. What am I doing wrong? I will leave a tip once a solution has been found.
I'm very sorryCustomerI've been extremely backed up with work these past couple of days. Are these new symptoms from the original one? I think you said you had absolutely no throttle response previously and no check engine light.

That's right, and we still have no check engine light. I wasn't out in the car when my son was telling what to write. I was with him Sunday and he told me this time. I'm 64 and didn't even know the gas pedal is a throttle!?!!?! Anyway, apparently that's the way it has been all along with the sticking pulsating throttle. You have to turn it off once you push on the throttle and get the RPMs up, they don't go down until you turn the car off. Put the car in gear and it doesn't go anywhere. The car ran fine but we had it for sale over the winter so it was not driven, just sat. That's why my son doesn't understand it. So, the ASR light is on continuously, the car won't move but idles. He changed the TPS to another new one. I might have written the throttle response wrong previously. It revs up to 1000-1300 RPM but you can floor it and it goes no higher. It just pulsates there. LOL......isn't it awful working with an older woman!!! If we don't get it fixed by Friday I will leave you alone for a week cuz I'm going to Vegas for a conference and meeting family and friends over both weekends.

Thanks for all your help. If you are really busy, just send me a note and say I'm backed up. I'll respond later. I do software and have to say that all the time. It's just no response that got me frustrated. Sorry and I totally understand.

Ok, I will do my best to look into this on the weekend. Things are so busy at work right now it's difficult to get to my questions.

No problem. I leave for Las Vegas Friday evening for a conference but I will check emails and get needed information back to my son.

Thanks for the note. Don't work too hard but I know how that goes.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, has your son tried to accelerate the car directly from the lever at the throttle body?

Good afternoon! I got home from my conference late last Sunday night and have been swamped all week. Can you review all of my previous answers and see what our next step should be.

Thanks....Cheryl

I know we all get busy but now this is Wednesday and I left my message last Friday. I also said it was OK to wait 2 weeks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Cheryl, sorry I got busy and your reply slipped by me. What happens when he tries to accelerate the motor directly at the throttle body?
He's gone out to dinner now, but, when you push on the throttle, the RPMs increase and then it sticks. I assume the throttle body is the pedal, correct?
No I want him to go right to the throttle body on the motor and see if he can rev the engine from there.
OK, he'll be home soon and I'll have him try...thanks
Ok, let me know what you find out. I'll check back in the morning.

My son says he thought that the throttle was only controlled by the TPS sensor because the TPS sensor is cable controlled off of the pedal. Then it sends an electrical signal to raise RPMs. He was unaware that the throttle body could be manually reved. He will check it out in the next few days.

Thanks,

Cheryl

The throttle body is inaccessible so I can't manually override. Do you think that it would be wise to take the air tube off the top of the throttle body and try to manually override with a screwdriver by opening the butterflies?

Good Evening,

Is there any hope of something else to try???

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, sorry I was away this afternoon. The throttle body is difficult to access but it should not be inaccessible. He should follow the linkage to where it is attached to the throttle actuator and make sure that the actuator is moving when a helper presses the gas pedal. You have electronic throttle but the cable also provides some throttle control in the event of a failure. It sounds like nothing is connected. The problem might also be fuel pressure related or something completely different that we are missing but we need to find out if the throttle is opening first. I've attached a picture of the actuator that might help.

graphic

Don't worry about taking too long as now I am just getting tim e to print this.

We'll let you know.

Hi what's your name! LOL!

My son finally was able to manually override the throttle and all it did was pulsate

over and over. It got up to 1100 to 1200 rpms and just pulsate. Next step?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Eurotec! I replied on Sunday afternoon. Any next step suggestion ready?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, for some reason your replies are not going into my inbox. You might want to open a new question addressed to me because this one isn't getting to me.

I would have him disconnect the connector to the mass air flow sensor and see if it will then take the throttle. If that doesn't help I'd suggest he test the fuel pressure.

Well, I hope you get this because I don't see how to open a new one. Trying to get Chad and you both to work on my car is a feat!!! He finally did as you asked and his answer is this:

He unhooked mass air sensor and started car. At idol it pulsates really bad. With mass air sensor still disconnected he manuallyopened the throttle body by hand and it pulsates worse than when it was idoling.