MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

1997 Mercedes e320 door remotes both stopped working and I

Customer Question

1997 Mercedes e320 door remotes both stopped working and I am unable to program them. I can use both keys to open the passenger door and trunk and lock, but cannot use the remote button to do this it just stopped suddenly one day. Where is the module for this or fuse location? What is the best way to trouble shoot without a visit to the dealer. Thanks Peter
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Hi Peter, is your central locking system still working when you use the key or the switch inside the car?

Marty
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Marty,

Yes the central locking system still works with keys in the door, trunk or the switch inside. Its the inferred or coding that is not working. Both the remotes have new batteries and the test lights work on them.

Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.
Hi Peter, sorry I got busy this afternoon. Can you post your vin # XXXXX so I can see which system you have?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No Problem

Vin# XXXXX

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.

Sorry Peter I dropped the ball. I was looking for some simple tests you could do to diagnose the system but most everything requires the Mercedes hand held tester. Have you checked fuse #17 and #14 in the main fuse box? Have you tried to synchronize the remotes?

Marty

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will check fuse #17 and 14 in the main fuse box. Is that located under the rear seat or engine compartment. Also are there special steps to synchronize the remotes other than put the key in the ignition or door lock and turn and hold a couple of times?

Peter

Expert:  Marty replied 7 years ago.

The fuses will be under the hood in the main fuse box next to the brake booster. Do you have the folding switchblade type key or do you have the infrared key pictured below?

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have the folding type key with the blade and the single center button in the middle