Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

240d: problems starting..starting my..my glow plug light..new ones

Customer Question
I am having problems starting...
I am having problems starting my 240d 81, my glow plug light does not go on right away when i turn the ignition, do I need new ones? What else could it be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mercedes
12/5/2009
Mercedes Mechanic: Marty, Mercedes Technician replied 7 years ago
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician

Hi Frank, most likely you need new glow plugs. The glow plug circuit should be tested to make sure the plugs are receiving power with the key on. If they are, and your glow plug light is not coming on with the key, it's an indication of one or more bad glow plugs. The individual plugs can be tested to see which are bad but it's often best to replace all of them. When replacing the glow plugs it's important to clean the glow plug chambers before installing the new plugs. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Marty
Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician