Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

1985 190e: mercedes..the wheel is locked and the key wont turn at all

Customer Question
How do you replace the...
How do you replace the ignition on a mercedes 1985 190e the wheel is locked and the key won't turn at all?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mercedes
7/15/2009
Mercedes Mechanic: marcpod, Own collision repair advice replied 8 years ago
marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice

Welcome to just answer. If you need anything else just let me know. Here is the procedure.

Shop-Made Tool

Effective length of wire = 320 mm.

NOTE : When the steering lock is replaced, the washer (37i), the parking lock valve (37h) and the cam (37g) must be changed at the same time (not included in the scope of the supply for the steering lock).

Preceding Work (To be done before starting the following procedure):

• Remove cover below instrument panel.
  • On model 201, remove instrument cluster.

Removal, Installation :

1. Remove lock cylinder with cap (36b) in key position "1". Use disengaging wire (0100). See: Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder\Service and Repair

1. Disconnect connector (S8/1x1) from warning buzzer contact (S8/1).

1. Disconnect connector (S2/1x1) from ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2).

1. Unscrew wire cable (37a).

NOTE : As of model year 1990, all vehicles with automatic transmission are fitted with a parking lock interlock. As a result the ignition key can only be removed in selector lever position "P". When the steering lock is removed and the locking cylinder is installed, the parking lock valve must be pushed back through the bore for the wire cable in order to remove the ignition key.

1. On vehicles with diesel engines, disconnect vacuum lines (br, br/bl) from the glow/starter switch valve (37b). Installation Note : Observe installed position of vacuum lines.

1. Loosen clamp (37c) on jacket tube, press in locking pin (37d) and withdraw steering lock from the mount of the jacket tube.

Installation Note : When installing, ensure that the locking pin (37d) engages in the mount of the jacket tube.

CAUTION : The steering lock must not be turned out of position 1" without the ignition starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) (the rectangular recess in the shift shaft (37f) is in the direction of the steering lock shaft). Otherwise the built-in locking detent locks the steering lock in such a way that it cannot be released.

1. Detach ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2).

Installation Notes :

Install the ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) before turning the steering lock.

• The steering lock can only be installed in lock cylinder position "1".
  • If the steering lock is in the normal position "0" (locking pin 37d locked, locking pin 37e extended), the shift shaft is to be turned into the installed position "1".

• Install the ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) with the fixing lug in the recess of the steering lock (37) (arrow).
  • Observe PIN assignment for the ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) when assembling new parts.
  • The ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) can also be removed/installed when the steering lock is installed using a short screwdriver.

• The mounting bores (37k) for the ignition/starter switch (S2/1) or glow/starter switch (S2/2) and for the vacuum valve (37j) on diesel vehicles do not have a thread on the ET steering lock made by "Huf". During assembly, the threads must be cut in the steering lock by the self-tapping screws.

1. Remove warning buzzer contact, exterior lamps (S8/1) in key position "1".

1. Remove glow/starter switch valve (37b).

1. On vehicles with automatic transmission, remove washer (37i), parking lock valve (37h) and cam (37g). Installation Note : When the steering lock is replaced, the washer (37i), the parking lock valve (37h) and the cam (37g) must be changed at the same time (not included in the scope of the supply for the steering lock).
I can not see the images and also the key wont turn at all.
I will put them in jpegs for you. This shows what to do. hold tight ok.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphicgraphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

Sorry for the delay in replying to your e-mail. The problem is that the key won't turn at all, I can not get it to the position that I will introduce the wire to release the cilinder. The key won't move left or right.

I already knew the procedure of removing the cilinder by turning the key to the #1 position. About ten years ago I had to replace the steering lock and I did my self; but this is diferent, the key won't turn at all

I bet yhou have tried what I am suggesting wd40 and trying to get the vehilce in neutral. I cannot remember if there is a push in control to move the shifter.

marcpod
marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice