Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

This relates to the clutch servo for the Actros 2540

Customer Question

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Stan replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Could you describe the reasons for the replacement of clutch boosters? What are the symptoms? What is the VIN of your truck and the part number of the last cluch booster you have installed?

Regards,

Stan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The problem we have is that the servo failing prematurely. We earlier thought that the quality of the replacement parts are inferior. But the local Benz delearship also confirms that the parts are genuine or good OE. The failure is on the part of the Hydraulic where the seal gives in within two months after fitment. We have broken open the last failed Chassis No:WDB9423110001 do not have the part number at the moment.
Expert:  Stan replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for the delay,

Could you recheck the VIN, because th number must be 17 character long.

There is one workshop information i suggest to try. Here it is:

Complaint

Poor metering of clutch, clutch does not separate

Cause

Clutch booster does not operate correctly (piston has excessive resistance / is seized) or is leaking

Remedy

Fit repair parts kit for repairing the clutch booster.

IMPORTANT: Select the repair kit depending on the hydraulic medium:

- either for DOT 4 (brake fluid), WITHOUT sales code IY2

- or for hydraulic fluid as per sheet 345.0 (Pentosin CH 11 S), sales code IY2, green cover

On vehicles with transmission capable of fording (code G39) the cover plate on the clutch booster must be sealed with silicone (e.g. A(NNN) NNN-NNNN10).

Parts
Part numberDesignationQuantityNoteEPCNon-EPC
A0002500262Repair kit with repair instructions1Repair kit for vehicles with hydraulic medium DOT 4X
A0002500762Repair kit with repair instructions1Repair kit for vehicles with hydraulic fluid as per sheet 345.0 (Pentosin CH 11 S)X

Please recheck the VIN, then i will be able to look more closely into this.

Best Regards,

Stan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the response. But I believe my question remains unanswered as I do not replace kits but complete servo unit. The problem is that we have regular failures of the new servos even when we fit genuine quality. The failure is on the hydraulic seal that fits on the hydraulic piston. The seal just wears out than raptures.
Expert:  Stan replied 8 years ago.

Such a fault is not a known failure on these trucks. That is why i recommend to repair the servo according to factory info as a first step. It might be possible that the repair kit is of better quality.

Another possibility is that replacement procedures are not adhered to. I can provide you with these if neccesary.

As i wrote earlier, it would be great to recieve the full VIN of the truck, because i cannot see the transmission/clutch version without it.

Regards,

Stan