Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

I am purchasing a 2004 ML350 and want to add the GPS feature

to the car. The radio...
I am purchasing a 2004 ML350 and want to add the GPS feature to the car. The radio has buttons for it but it says not installed. Is there a module I can but or how do I activate the in dash GPS?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/29/2009
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
yes you need to purchase a nav drive and install it in the radio. ill give you detailed instructions
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician
You will give detailed part numbers and cost so I can order ne?
absolutely i will get the mercedes instructions and part number but you will have to wait til 11 30pm. I have to get info when I get home. i have it saved on home computer. please accept so i know im not wasting my time because i have to pay to access merceds factory info.
OK I accepted your answer and will await your email tonight. thank you

1. Place the removed MCS unit on a firm level

surface.

2. Remove the four T10 Torx screws securing

the chassis cover

.

3. Carefully remove the chassis cover.

4. Proceed as follows:

a. If a control module exists in the MCS

upper compartment, remove it and skip

to step 8.

b. If no auxiliary control modules have

previously been installed in the MCS

upper compartment, proceed to step 5.

5. Disconnect the accessory control unit

connector from the plastic

retainer by pressing the side of

the connector in and pulling it away from the

MCS chassis.

6. Remove the plastic retainer from the MCS

chassis and discard it

7. Carefully pull up the plastic panel at the MCS

front edge, remove, and then discard it

8. Lower the navigation drive or CD player into

the top compartment ensuring that the control

unit connector faces the accessory pigtail on

the side of the unit

9. Connect the accessory pigtail to the

connector on the installed unit

Note: Be sure that the connector is inserted

straight and firmly into the connector cavity.

Pull out on the connector to ensure that it is

firmly seated and not locked only on one side.

(A cocked connector will cause intermittent

non-operation.)

10. Reinstall the MCS chassis cover with the four

previously removed T10 Torx screws.

Note: Exercise extreme care when installing

the cover. Excessive force is not required.

Need for excessive force is an indicator that

the cover is improperly positioned

This is the Final assembly and testing of the GPS navigation module and you will have to use a Mercedes computer to program it however you can do all installation yourself see if it works without programing. If not go to a shop that can program and see if they will just change the coding in the radio to Navigation.

OK THESE ARE THE FINAL INSTRUCTIONS
1. Reconnect the MCS unit to the vehicle harness, including the newly installed GPS antenna connection,
and carefully place it back into the dash opening.
2. Insert the appropriate navigation DVD-ROM according to vehicle location.
3. Move the vehicle to an outdoor location with a clear view of the sky and allow the unit to remain on for
twenty to thirty minutes. (Twenty through thirty minutes is required for the system to “acquire” the GPS
satellites in the area. A coarse location has been established when a map of the area appears on the
screen and the vehicle is located on the map.)
4. Version code the MCS for the CD player and navigation.
• SDS version coding procedure:
a. Select: Model ML 320 / ML 500 / ML 55
b. Select: Control Units
c. Select: D2B-COMAND, MCS or Audio
d. Read the coding and change it if necessary
e. Select the specified configuration of the operating unit
f. Components—Select Navigation or CD Player
5. Check the MCS unit DTC memory. Any present DTC(s) should be investigated, the source identified and
corrected, and the DTC memory cleared. See Section E for notes on potential false codes.
6. Perform a navigation system functional test of the following to confirm that no new DTC(s) has been set:
 Destination input
 Navigating to/from destination(s)
 Verification of tracking accuracy
 Proper issuance of voice instructions

OK THESE ARE THE FINAL INSTRUCTIONS
• SDS version coding procedure:
b. Select: Control Units
c. Select: D2B-COMAND, MCS or Audio
 Destination input
 Navigating to/from destination(s)
 Verification of tracking accuracy
 Proper issuance of voice instructions

This should be the only part you need with a 2004. GPS antenna and splitter should be installed
XXXXX(DVD-ROM) Q(NNN) NNN-NNNN

When you buy part at dealer give them your vin number and tell them to make sure you don't need the splitter and antenna.
About how much is the part?
not sure. around 800dollars/ but check with dealer to be sure
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia
Nelson Garcia, Mercedes Technician