Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

How do I replace front right wheel bearing on 1999 ML320.

How do I replace front right wheel bearing on 1999 ML320. I hve the part but no repair manual.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer you'll need to remove the steering knuckle and press out the bearing. The Mercedes procedure requires many special tools to remove and install the bearing but any machine shop can do it on a hydraulic press. I've attached the instructions below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Marty

Replacing Front Wheel Bearing

Remove Steering Knuckle

Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

I'm logging off for the night. If you need anything else I'll reply in the morning.

Marty

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Wow! Someone told me replacing the bearing would be rather simple. Are there any instructions or additional diagrams other than the manual that might be helpful.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Marty
Guessed I missed you for the night. Don't kow if you got my follow up question so here it is again...

Someone told me replacing the bearing would be rather simple. Are there any instructions or additional diagrams other than the manual that might be helpful.
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

Good morningCustomer the job is very simple it's just a lot of work. There's nothing technical about it. Tell me what else you'd like to see that might help you and I'll see what I can find. If you've not done heavy front end work before you might be better off to leave it to a repair shop.

Marty

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Marty

The mechanic said it is what he needs to complete the job. Also thank you for sending the additional info on the steering knuckle and machine shop for hydraulic press. Other than taking my car to Mercedes (OUCH!) for repair, I was hard pressed for information on how to get the job done. Not many options here in Alaska. Thanks again Marty.
Caren
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Marty The mechanic said it is what he needs to complete the job. Also thank you for sending the additional info on the steering knuckle and machine shop for hydraulic press. Other than taking my car to Mercedes (OUCH!) for repair, I was hard pressed for information on how to get the job done. Not many options here in Alaska. Thanks again Marty. Caren
Expert:  Marty replied 8 years ago.

Alaska? Wow! I'm in Florida. I'm glad it was helpful to you Caren. Good luck with it!

Marty