Dan G.
Dan G., Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Trained In Germany by MB, Shop Owner for 10 yrs. in Cleveland, OH
13658271

1996 Mercedes C220: trouble codes../idle control system..malfunction

Customer Question

I have a 1996 Mercedes C220 and have two trouble codes coming up: P0505/idle control system; and P0510/closed throtle position switch malfunction. What parts will the repairs require, and where can I purchase them? Any parts number would help also if you have them.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Dan G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi there

I'm Dan trying to help you.

Do me a favor and remove the cover on the front of the engine & look at the wiring harness leading to the different sensors & ground points. Let me know what you see??

Tnx, Dan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dan-

Well, I removed the front cover and found a hollow, 1/8" diameter, brown tube that a piece has broken completely off. All other components appear to be intact. Could this be the problem for both codes?

Thanks

Bob

Expert:  Dan G. replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bob

that's not good as this creates a vacuum leak. It could be responsible for the P0505 but not necessarily for the other 1.

Did you look closely at the wires coming out of the looms and look carefully at the insulation, even take the wire in between your fingers and bend it let me know if it's plyable??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dan-

All of the other wires look okay, there is a ground wire where the insulation is very brittle and cracked.

Thanks,

Bob

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dan -

We're in California and getting ready to turn in for the night - will reply back to your

next message tomorrow.

Thanks

Bob

Expert:  Dan G. replied 8 years ago.

Sorry Bob

At this point I need to advise you that any further attempt to solve this is problem is useless.

1st. Step the Engine wiring harness needs 2 be replaced.

This may or may not solve the problem.

2nd step is to open the harness to the Slide if defective, needs 2 be replaced too.

Sorry this is not a cheap repair but necessary.