Mercedes

Have Mercedes Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Mercedes

How do I program a remote key for my 2006 Mercedes E-350

Customer Question
?...
How do I program a remote key for my 2006 Mercedes E-350 ?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Mercedes
1/6/2009
Mercedes Mechanic: Victor MB, ASE & MercedesBenz Master Certified replied 9 years ago
Victor MB
Victor MB, ASE & MercedesBenz Master Certified
Usually all you have to do to program a new key you have just purchased is install it into the EIS ignition switch. Let it read the EIS information from the vehicle (takes from like 5min-1hr, depending on how many previous keys have been used) and then it should start right up. On your vehicle, it shouldnt take more than 5minutes. Once the key turns and starts, its done programming.

You said,"Usually all you have to do...." I have tried the process you outlined and actually left the key installed into the EIS ignition switch for about 2 hours with no results. I hope you also have a Plan-B for this problem.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
What exactly is the key not doing? You said it turns, starts the car and locks/unlocks the doors? Which key are you having problems with and what is it not doing? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try to help you as much a s possible. Thanks again for your patience.

We have a misunderstanding. I was describing what the key/alarm/remote does so you would know what the key is supposed to do. One key does all those things and one does not. I need to program the replacement key to work as the original one does.

Thanks,

Customer/p>
Okay. Any replacement key that you order as soon as you recieve it, the remote unlocking/locking will work, regaurdless if it has been programmed to that car. The keys are specfic for your vehicle and that is why they are ordered by VIN number. The only prgramming that will need to be done is to install it into the EIS ignition so it could finish programming and start the vehicle.

Things you could try. Make sure the battery is good in the key. When you press the lock/unlock button, the red led light should flash. If not, I would replce the batteries first. If the batteries are fine, then you might actually have a problem with the key. If the key is new, then I would take it to the dealership and have it replaced. If the key starts the vehicle but does not lock/unlock then you have the correct key but the remote feature is not working. The shop could try to re-programm the key to the vehicle using a SDS but this rarely works. Most likely a key is faulty if one key does eveything and the other key does not. Im sorry for the confusion. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. My goal is your satisfaction. If you are not satisfied, do not feel compliled to press the accept button. Thank you for using Just Answer.
Victor MB
Victor MB
Victor MB