Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I'm having a really difficult time with extreme anxiety and

Customer Question

I'm having a really difficult time with extreme anxiety and I need help
JA: The Psychologist can help. Just a couple quick questions before I transfer you. When did the anxiety start? Have you used any medication for this?
Customer: I have not used medication. I've had it on and off, but I had an extreme anxiety attack last night.
JA: How severe has the anxiety been?
Customer: It was cause me not to eat, not to sleep, my stomach will be in knots, my chest gets tight, I feel physical pain up and down my entire body because of it.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I've been in a long distance relationship. I've had a few anxiety spikes occur since he's been gone and we were able to work through it. Last night he told me he was second guessing everything and this conversation came unexpectedly. I had the worst anxiety attack I've ever had and I haven't been able to get off of the couch today. I feel physical pain up and down my body. I can't eat, can't sleep. I want this to go away..
Expert:  Dr Dina Ali replied 15 days ago.
Hi, I am Dr Dina Ali, a psychiatrist with 10 years of experience.
I have reviewed your question and I am sorry for what you are going through.
In fact, anxiety is a natural and helpful response we all must have to identify and respond to dangers. But sometimes it's triggered by the wrong stimuli or become severe enough to affect our lives negatively and interfere with our daily functioning.
At that point, treatment is a necessity.
Best results are obtained from combining medications with psychotherapy.
Used medications for anxiety disorders are SSRIs, some SNRIs and other antidepressants to a lesser extent.
Other non-pharmacological treatments like psychotherapy can be effective alone in mild cases or in combination with meds.
CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is the most commonly used and well-studied type of psychotherapy for anxiety disorders.
Sleep hygiene measures and relaxation techniques like meditation, breathing exercises and Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) are very helpful in controlling insomnia, anxiety and evoke relaxation. I can share some ideas about these if you want.
Healthy diet, exercise, good social support system like friends and family, doing pleasurable activities and activities that make you feel in control of your life (mastery activities) are all good factors that help reduce your anxiety.
Hope this answer is helpful to you.
If you have further concerns, please let me know.

Waiting for your response.
Please note that phone call requests are automatically generated by the site and not initiated by me. Please ignore them. I am fine with chatting.
Expert:  Dr Dina Ali replied 11 days ago.

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?