Rafael-E-Therapist
Rafael-E-Therapist, Psychotherapist
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I did not have a time due to studies-work-relationship and

I did not have a time due to studies-work-relationship and house troubles to get in touch with my 6 year old niece the past year. I talked to her but something like once or twice a month and asked my sister how she was doing because most of the times I called my niece was sleeping. My niece started complaining on the phone that I do not talk to her and when we finally met she started kicking me punching me being grumpy when she saw me. Because I do not have the ideal relations with my sister I am thinking that my sister is behind it.Can a 6 year old kid except playtime, reading, friends e.t.c remember if an aunt can't call that often?
JA: Have you spoken to a mental health professional about this?
Customer: No
JA: Has this been a chronic issue? Or does it come and go?
Customer: Just happened
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No

Hello, I'm Rafael, an integrative psychotherapist. I'm here to support you. I'm carefully reviewing your post now and I am very sorry to know about this painful situation.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is ok, thank you so much for your concern dear Rafael
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If possible it would be better through text, sorry for that.

Thank you for replying.

I can tell you that many people in your shoes do not use to keep such a regular communication with their nieces, so you have been doing a great job, showing a very good bonding, affection and caring towards her. It seems that the lack of such consistent communication did impact her, but I also strongly believe that the nature of her strong reaction could be mostly defined by the influence her mother has had about it.

Please know that the website could send automatic messages requesting you to accept phone calls, offering premium services. Please disregard them if you feel comfortable using this interface. These are automatic messages from the website, and they are not sent by me. Sorry for the inconvenience.

It is absolutely possible and the younger the child, the easier to manipulate her, and I am afraid to confirm I also believe her mother could have played a key role distorting your niece's views and feelings towards you from the time you were not able to stay in touch with her.

Children her age and younger can remember for sure about many things, even more, something so relevant and significant as an aunt staying in tough so regularly, suddenly stopping communication. When the child has bonded and attached well to the relative, it is even stronger the impact such change could have in the child, but the nature of her reaction, being so hostile to me seems poisoned by her mother based on what you said here, and not something a child would feed by herself. Does it make sense?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice!Thank you for your support! I wish you well, I will rate you all stars, thanks for people like you that help society become a better place(0:
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it makes perfectly sense!

You are very welcome. Thank you for your trust and openness here.

Please fully acknowledge all of your feelings, validate them, vent in healthy ways and then redirect your mind. heart and actions towards things/experiences that enable you to create and promote healthy, meaningful and fulfilling emotions and experiences, as well as to effectively cope with life challenges.

Then offer the same to your niece, be very compassionate and gentle, and time will allow her to see and distinguish between reality and illusions, and I know that your consistent healthy affection and caring will not vanish, but stay in her heart.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions since I am here willing and ready to support you as much as possible.

You can contact me using this direct link to my profile https://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-rafael-therapist/, you could bookmark it for easy access, and just make sure you state "For Rafael only" in your request, for other experts to know you want me to reply, and I will respond in less than an hour most of the time.

Also know that I do provide confidential counseling/psychotherapeutic support via Premium Services, which is implemented via Skype or phone call, in case you feel comfortable with me and would like to discuss in more detail this or any other concern, as well as the best approach to work on it.

Take gentle care,

Rafael