Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Yeah..I'm having some issues with porn addiction. I could…

Customer Question
Yeah..I'm having some issues with...

Yeah..I'm having some issues with porn addiction. I could use some guidance. I'm having compulsive problems and can't seem to cope

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 2 days by:
6/3/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 21 days ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** am so sorry someone has not addressed your question yet!! Addiction to pornography is much like any other addiction. For people to recover, the very first step is for them to want to make change. It sounds like you may be at this point which is a great sign. Then, they often have to pursue different treatment approaches, sometimes a combination of things, like 12 step meetings, group support, and individual therapy. On occasion, more severe cases may require inpatient treatment.
For most people, the very first step to halting an addiction would be to get yourself in with an addictions counselor like a social worker or psychologist. People trained in addiction can help you work through this issue as well as tease out if there are other things that need treatment such as underlying conditions like depression or anxiety. You and them can understand the motivations for your addiction, and the ways to modify your behavior so pornography does not become a place you continue to turn to for gratification and relief of other stressors. With continued effort on your part and the support of someone like a therapist and potential peers, you can get past this!
I am proud of you for taking the first step today. Your next step would be to contact someone that specializes in addiction treatment and make an appointment. Consider this website as a place to try to locate someone... https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists.
Also consider getting yourself enrolled in online communities that support pornography addictions or other sexual addictions. Hearing from other people about how they go about managing addiction and sharing your own insights on what works for you can be a vital component to behavior change. http://www.pornaddictsanonymous.org/

As of what you can do today...the first step is to allow yourself to pinpoint what thoughts kead ytou to poroigraphyt. Just like most cravings, there is likely correlations that make you think that turning to porn is needed. Time of day, stress, another person, feeling bad about yourself, a certain correlation like checking the new or FB - try to pinpoint what behavior is triggering for your thoughts. Once you identify this behavior, begin to observe that the trigger has happened and how it makes you want to indulge. Then, do everything you can to avoid the indulge. Recognize that the craving for looking is intense and pressing and don't give in. Mst cravings will stop after not getting fulfilled, usually only a period of 20 minutes, so if you can ride out the urge, you can surmount validating the trigger and if you can do this enough times, the trigger and it's intensity will fall. Sp for now, when that trigger comes up, do anything else you can to keep yourself from the behavioral response to the thought which in your case, is turning to the pornography.

I know this seems daunting but you can get through this and take your life back. Please let me know if you would like to discuss this further!

-Leah