Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I have to see the man I was with for 34 years. For my

Customer Question
I have to see...

I have to see the man I was with for 34 years. For my children’s sake I need to be unemotional and calm. This is difficult due to the fact that I love him and I have to spend time with him and the women he left me for. I don’t drink or rely on drugs but in these circumstances I am desperate.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes I’m taking Escitaliproman but that isn’t helping the anxiety I’m having thinking of spending time with these two people but I don’t want my children to suffer and be caught in the middle

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

3 years. I’m making progress, I have a counselor that I’m working with but still don’t think I can hold it together.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I was with my X at the age of 16 and fell madly in love. I’m still in love with him but realize it wasn’t a healthy relationship. I’m stronger now but I have to get through my daughters college graduation party and I need to be calm and happy

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/28/2018
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 27 days ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Greetings.
Welcome to the site.
I am a Psychiatrist and I believe that I can help you with your query.
I am sorry to learn about your present situation and I agree that it must be really hard for you to go through the meeting for the sake of your daughter. You see you got to realize that you cannot always run away from him since he shares not only your child with you but a lot of past , good or bad, so at one point in your life you will have to accept and also make yourself prepared to co-exist with him since there may come several occasions in the future where your paths will be crossed and situations may arise which warrant attendance of both of you , so basically if not this time but any time in the future you will have to face him and deal with things in his presence. So, I reckon that you take it as a challenge and brace yourself to make this meeting happen for good , I feel after this meeting is over and done with , not only your daughter will be immensely overwhelmed by the presence of the two of you but also you may actually feel liberated and a sense of freedom from past emotional baggage which will bring more confidence in you as a person and you will be more forthcoming to deal with any adverse situation.
Having said that I would also suggest that you may ask your prescribing doctor to prescribe you Klonopin ( clonazepam ) at modest dose of 0.25 mg for PRN use that is use use at the time of panic attacks or anxiety attacks such as just taking it before your first meeting with your ex or when you are feeling emotionally overwhelmed and restless during the daughter's graduation party and any other family reunion for that matter , Klonopin shall take away your anxiety and keep your calm and well in control of your emotions.
I hope this makes sense.
Wish you all the best and may God give you strength and courage to do the right thing and face your demons with vigor.
Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.
Regards