Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My wife was gone for two days visiting the grandkids. The…

Customer Question
My wife was gone...

My wife was gone for two days visiting the grandkids. The minute she is back she starts complaining. She pointed to a tiny spat of blood that was on our bedspread from my neck I guess. She shows my daughter our empty guest room where a boarder lived and slept for 2 years and how it smells of smoke something she has mentioned 5 times already. She is always finding stuff to gripe about. I pointed out how peaceful it was for the two days she was gone and she says well then maybe we should separate

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this issue? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the Psychologist should know?

Is it OCD?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Mental Health
5/27/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 2 months ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing. My name is***** to hear about this frustrating time. This does not sound like OCD which is characterized by obsessions that then are followed by a series of compulsions in response to the obsession. People have thrown around the term OCD to describe people who tend to be focused on being overly tidy or organized, but OCD is a time-consuming and exhausting disorder involving ritualized patterns of behavior that a person is mostly unable to control.

However, it does sound like your wife may be overly critical. Irritability can be tied to things like anxiety and depression, although sometimes, being a critical, nit-picking type of person is just a personality trait where a person has overly high-standards and unrealistic expectations for people as well as their environment. I wonder if this has always been an issue and how you felt when she mentioned separation?

-Leah

Hi, just checking back. Still looking for help?

-Leah