Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I’ve been taking 25 mg Effexor for 11 days and feel worse. I…

Customer Question
I’ve been taking 25 mg...
I’ve been taking 25 mg Effexor for 11 days and feel worse . I went off it 10 months ago 37.5 cuz it pooped out do I need to up it to the 37.5 or y am I feeling so anxious - oh taking lexapro for last 6 months
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Mental Health
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
When do you answer?
4/3/2018
Mental Health Professional: LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker replied 22 days ago
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hi, thank you for writing and my apologies for a delay. My name is***** you saying you are taking both Lexapro and Effexor? The likely reason why you are feeling pronounced anxiety as of now is because starting the Effexor has caused a very common side effect as your body gets used to this new medication. Anxiety is a very common activation side effect from starting medications like Effexor. The good news is that these side effects will dissipate as your body gets used to the medication. They tend to linger for days to weeks but rarely last longer than 30 days. As long as you deem this side effect to be tolerable (now that you know it is common) albeit uncomfortable, then the recommendation is usually to ride out the initiation of this medication at the initial dose you were prescribed it, for a period of a few weeks, so you can get over the hump of the start-up. Once those side effects start to dissipate, that usually gives way to the medication helping control the symptoms for which it was prescribed (3 weeks-ish for anxiety and 6-8+ for depression). If no change and you still feel acutely anxious, then it is possible that the Effexor is just not an ideal match for you and you may wish to consider trying an alternative. And since you have been through several SSRIs now and are on to an SNRI, then it may be time, if the Effexor turns out not to be compatible with you, that you meet with a psychiatrist, igf you haven't already, to consider alternative medication approaches to managing your symptoms.

Hope this helps!

-Leah

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Went off lexapro( on it 6-7 months) on to Effexor 25 mg I was on Effexor 5 years it pooped out used lexapro for 9 months then back to Effexor 5 years it pooped out again and this time I’m having a hard time getting something to stay working so it’s been 10 months and trying Effexor again but I did take 37.5 before this. I thought it would start to ease up after 11 days but it’s not . I have a physiatrist he is on vacation. All the years Effexor worked it worked great didn’t have this start up anxiety
I suspect you got a little lucky that the Effexor worked the second time but third may just not be jiving with you. The antidepressant meds can be tricky to prescribe because they affect everyone a little differently at different points in time. I probably wouldn't waste too much more time on the Effexor. It may just be time to try something novel. Also, if you haven't yet considered it, therapy can be a wonderful way to help ease symptoms of depression and anxiety. If you haven't added this to the medications, you might be missing out on something that isn't going to give you side effects and can be equal to if not more effective for the longer terms than medications.
Leah
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Well my physiatrist seems to think it will work again and as you see I’ve tried a couple others that work for about 2 months then stop. 25 mg is very small I’m sure he will rise it to 37.5 before he stops it 11 days is to soon to say it isn’t going to work
That is true it has not had enough tine to work. I was more just commenting on the fact it is giving you side effects now when it hadn't before. I hope the side effects ease soon and it does prove helpful to you, again.
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker